Did I buy the wrong carboy?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ACo

Reaction score
Hey, so I just purchased two 5 gal better bottle carboys which i was quite excited about, but then I realized...do i need to be using 6 gal carboys for 5 gal batches? Did i just blow it?

Hey, so I just purchased two 5 gal better bottle carboys which i was quite excited about, but then I realized...do i need to be using 6 gal carboys for 5 gal batches? Did i just blow it?

5 gallon carboys will work, but 6 gallon are preferred for primary fermentation. Be sure to use a blow-off tube for the first few days of fermentation. You'll probably lose a little bit of beer, but not enough to worry about.

My first two extract batches were fermented in 5 gallon carboys. 1 was fine, the other had a lot of blow-off... maybe a quart.

I'm just wondering if it's worth it to return them for 6 gallon carboys....

I regret my two 5 gallon BB purchases. If you can I would definitely return these. If you can't and you plan to use these as primaries you will have to plan for blowoff and 4-4.5 g batches.

You'll be better off using a 6 gallon carboy to ferment 5 gallons in. If you do use the 5 gallon carboys you'll want to use a blow-off tube and you'll loose some of your beer that way. You could also look into "foam control" drops that really help keep the krausen (foam) low.

In a word, yes. 5 gallon carboys don't work well for 5 gallon batches because of blowoff. You'll lose at least half a gallon of wort when that sucker erupts. A minimum of 6 gallons is recommended for 5 gallon batches.

Look at it this way, now you have a place to rack your beer out of the primary to so you can get your pipeline going :D

I use a 5 gallon carboy for 5 gallon batches with no problem using an airlock. Although, a blow off tube is cheap, so I got one just in case for my last brew and I only had a little bit of yeast get in there, even after over filling the carboy a bit.

Take them back if you can and get the 6+ gallon carboys or just purchase 2 more 6+ gallon cayboys and uses the 5 gallon carboys for seconday if you have the extra money..

I use 8 gallon buckets, and occasionally I'll get some krausen up in the air lock. It would suck using 6 gallon ones... 5 are virtually unusable IMHO.

5 gallon carboys are the perfect size for 5 gallon Apfelwein batches. No krausen, no blow off, just lots of tiny bubbles.

I vote for getting a 6 gallon for a primary and use the 5's as secondaries, which they're better suited for than the bigger ones.

I primarily use my 2 carboys (glass & BB) as secondary fermenters. I use a 7 gallon plastic bucket with an air lock as my primary. I found the carboys a pain to clean. I start my batches in 7 gallon bucket and I transfer them into the carboys after the heavy fermentation stops. So, you can keep the 5 Gallon BB and go out and get a plastic primary for about $15.

A couple questions:

Will you still lose wort through the blowoff tube using a 6gal carboy for 5 gal batches? If so, how much?

I have tended to use open primary fermentation (7gal plastic pail with loose fitting lid, so no need for airlock). Is this more than fine, or should I consider switching to some sort of closed fermentation?

I've never used a Carboy for primary fermentation, only secondary. I've made many batches like this!

Now where's the fun in that? :D

Belgian_Blonde_1.JPG

Belgian_Blonde_2.JPG

Back