Anemic Ale?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KA6GZJ

Reaction score
A while back i was made a gift of a 50# bag of unmilled 2row malt. The bag had never been opened and had been stored in a plastic bag inside a plastic garbage can under the house, (ready for this), for 3years. SOOOOO, with time to kill after racking my last batch of PA I thought, why not try it. This is what i came up with using my limited stock.

25# 2row
1# carmel 60*
2oz galena @ 60min
1oz perle @ 30 min
1oz chinook @ 30min

This was dumped on the #1056 yeast cake from the previous batch.

Now my problum is, I have know idea what (if anything) I just made. I can say the color was very lite, (maybe the lack of carmel) but it did smell like beer and is fermenting. Maybe someone could tell me what to expect.

thanks,Jim:mug:

If it's 5 gallons of beer, you made something that will get you really drunk:drunk: It may take 6 months before it's drinkable.

If it's 10 gallons then it would seem you made a higher gravity, nicely balanced Ale that will be somewhere between a golden to to Amber color with mostly adequate hop additions.

What were the AAU's of the hops used?

I would consider dry hopping it with some Centennial, Challenger, or Cascade hops to finish it off

Sorry, I guess i left out the important stuff, it was a 15gal batch.
The gravity before the boil was 52-54ish. But after the boil it was about 50. Seems backwards to me. (maybe too much home brew)

Jim

At 15 gallons, you have a fairly good Pale Ale. You might want to split it and dry hop part.

Back