KAB4 vs. KAB6

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hegh

Reaction score
I am looking to buy a burner so I can brew outside (getting tired of cleaning the stove, and it's not quite powerful enough). Currently I have a 10gal aluminum pot, and I brew 5-5.5gal batches.

If I bought the KAB4, would I wish I'd spent the extra $25 for the KAB6? I'm sure the KAB4 would be fine for my current pot, but at what point would I wish I'd gone larger? I have no idea what equipment I may upgrade to in the future, and I don't want to waste money now if I can avoid it.

The only issue is the pot size that you may upgrade to in the future. I use a 15 gallon pot and have a good 2-3 on all sides of support using my KAB6. I had the same choice as you when I bought my burner, and I decided to get the KAB6, just so I would never have to worry about it again.

Okay, it looks like the KAB4 has a 17" support diameter, and the KAB6 has 22". I don't know what my pot is, and although I'm sure it'd fit on the KAB4, I should probably future-proof myself and go with the KAB6...

Well, I ordered the KAB6 from BMW, along with Edwort's Haus Pale Ale. Should make a good inaugural batch for the burner :)

I did notice, though, that BMW doesn't automatically send an email when you place an order. This is something that I expect to see any time I order something online, so it confused me a bit. Is there a reason that you decided to do it differently?

Well, I ordered the KAB6 from BMW, along with Edwort's Haus Pale Ale. Should make a good inaugural batch for the burner :)

I did notice, though, that BMW doesn't automatically send an email when you place an order. This is something that I expect to see any time I order something online, so it confused me a bit. Is there a reason that you decided to do it differently?

No reason really. It is going to be part of the next upgrade.

YEAH!!! The KAB6 arrived today, so I tested it on 6 gallons of water from the hose (probably 55* or so). 22 minutes to a rolling boil! And that was on low for the first 10 minutes, up to medium-ish for the rest (past that and the flames lick around the sides of the pot).

Using this tomorrow to make EdWort's Haus Pale Ale. :rockin:

Back