Pellicle Photo Collection

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Somehow I left a half pint of blonde ale in the garage a couple weeks ago and just discovered it.

image-1539258445.jpg

bottlebomber said:
Somehow I left a half pint of blonde ale in the garage a couple weeks ago and just discovered it.

Stick a straw through it and drink up. ;)

I realize this is not an impressive photo, but after sitting on 10 gallons of my Duchess clone for a year we finally have white matter. I'm stoked.

P1020469.jpg

I'll add one of mine to the mix. A 100% Brett brew with Brux Trois and Claus. It's about 5-6 months in right now. Sitting at room temp. Trying to decide when to bottle. I have another I'll have to get a photo of. It's coming up on 11 months in the fermenter, way back in the dark depths of a closet. It smells amazing.

1377117_10100857273648796_758626416_n.jpg

BXN-BgnCUAAdTrA.jpg:large

4 month old Sour Rye Farmhouse racked on top of a Temptation clone cake. Pretty much no visual anything up until yesterday. I added the toasted Oak dowel four days ago.

This is a one gallon Berliner Weisse with mangos added. It smells like a chemical smell. Almost like those little tubes of balloons that you would blow up with the straw kind of smell. Is this okay to taste or drink?

This is a poor picture, but my first pellicle! I pitched a woken up (pitched two days before into 100ml of 1.020 wort) vial of Bootleg Biology Pithos Lambic blend into 4 gallons of 1.040 wort made from some DME, and a partial mash of two-row, wheat malt and a pound of raw wheat. The started had had a small krausen prior to pitching, although it had receded a bit. Fermentation and a krausen started within 12 hours, and a loose pellicle formed over the krausen. This is 10 days later.

I brewed on my birthday, so I'll remember when to sample it. I don't plan to pitch any dregs because I want to see what this Bootleg Biology stuff will do.

pellicle.jpg

It's about 6 gallons or so and a well used barrel, it has been in there since February 13'. It smells absolutely amazing!

hunterlab said:
It's about 6 gallons or so and a well used barrel, it has been in there since February 13'. It smells absolutely amazing!

Do you have wax on the outside of the barrel? Limit O2?

I bought a block of barrel wax (paraffin) from the LBS and basically smeared it all over the staves. Then take a torch and just heat the wax to melt it working top to bottom and let cool. Afterwards go over it again to touch up areas of the barrel. It's pretty quick and easy work with the blow torch.

After racking to a keg, I found that I had an extra gallon of an English Bitter. Rather than dump it (or, ahem, drink it out of the fermentor), I decided to transfer it to a 1 gal vessel and pitch some bugs (WLP655). Here she is a few months later. mmmm....yeah, that's good.

photo.jpg

Tabasco sauce goes through the same process using lactobacillus. They mash up the peppers then put them into bourbon barrels for the fermentation. Mine will taste very similar to Tabasco sauce, I also have one going from all the random peppers that I grew in the summer of 2012 which is sweeter and more complex.

http://thehotpepper.com/topic/23146-fermenting-peppers-101/

I bought a block of barrel wax (paraffin) from the LBS and basically smeared it all over the staves. Then take a torch and just heat the wax to melt it working top to bottom and let cool. Afterwards go over it again to touch up areas of the barrel. It's pretty quick and easy work with the blow torch.

Do you wax the heads of the barrel as well or just the staves?

all galaxy pale ale w/dregs added from 3 crooked stave beers, 1 blvd saison-brett & 1 logsdon seiozen bretta

20jfct0.jpg

Back