Lesson Learned

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The_Mad_Scientist

Reaction score
So....like a lot of us I have 2 hydrometers incase one breaks...which well has happened a time or two.

Now comes my lesson, use the same hydrometer for all your readings though out the fermentation. Using the same sample the difference between the two hydrometers is .015 (give or take a little).

It only took me 2 months to figure out why my efficiency has been all over the place using the same equipment and same process. Not to mention when you are trying to get a final gravity reading.

I have marked one now to tell the difference, but one of these days I really should switch to a refractometer.

I have two hydrometers. One reads .002 high, the other .002 low. I marked each one and compensate for the error.

I love my refractometer when doing AG batches. Once the batch is in the fermenter, however, I put it away in its zippered pouch and use the hydrometers. Even with the alcohol correction calculations, I'm not confident that I can get an accurate reading with the refractometer.

The_Mad_Scientist said:
Using the same sample the difference between the two hydrometers is .015 (give or take a little).

Wow, never seen one off so badly. So one will read 1.050, and the other 1.065?? Is this temp corrected?

What do they read in distilled water?

Wow, never seen one off so badly. So one will read 1.050, and the other 1.065?? Is this temp corrected?

What do they read in distilled water?

Yep...if one will read 1.050 the other will be in the 1.064-1.066. in distilled water.. one reads .095 and the other 1.007-1.010 I have noticed that one tends to very in its readings...where the other pretty much is rock solid...a little off but solid.

I've seen the paper inside slip down , that was just wonderful trying to
figure out why everything was off...:confused:

I am guessing there must be some form of manufacturing error....they are relatively cheap equipment... So my bet is quality control is not as tight as commercial lab equipment.

I will end up only using the one that keeps a consistent reading and manually correct

;) anyone want a slightly used refractometer cheap

Back