No Rinse Sanitizers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BillyA

Reaction score
I have a hard time believing that the no rinse sanitizers don't affect your brew in one way or another....I've used One Step and another brand that came with my original kit. Both seem to leave a chalky coating on the equipment that I don't actually rinse. Am I just being paranoid or has anyone had trouble before they related to these sanitizers?

Huge fan, no problems

star-san.jpg

+inifinity for Star-san

I have literally drank some, just to try to identify it in my beers. I cannot. It doesn't have a strong taste to begin with.

love it.

I use Iodophor, never had any problems. There's a link out there to some intense, and very good, research showing that Iodophor (no rinse) when used as directed has no effect on the beer at all.

I was once like you. But then I learned more about Star San. It's effectiveness comes from it's PH, not from harsh chemicals...ya know what I'm saying Vern?

It's not like you're adding a harsh chemical like Chlorine that works by braking down the chemical bond between molecules, it's like you're adding a bunch of OJ, and the bacteria just can't like in the acidic environment.

So, it's not like you're gonna get cancer, or your liver is gonna shut down or somethin' if you leave some in your beer. Check out my gallery pics, if you don't believe me. I'm still kickin' and can't tell it was ever there.

I've ruined 3 batches using star san. I obviously used way too much. I didn't let the sanatized carboy dry out either before I used it. Pretty dissapointing. Since then I've used way less and let the equipment dry before use and have had no problems.
My only advise is to pay attention to the lable on how much to use.

:tank: Well think about it. You have 1 oz. in 5Gallons of water, that is very diluted and its tasteless anyway.:mug:

Alright thanks guys...I'll use up all my powder stuff and get some starsan ordered.

Cable Guy said:
I've ruined 3 batches using star san. I obviously used way too much. I didn't let the sanatized carboy dry out either before I used it. Pretty dissapointing. Since then I've used way less and let the equipment dry before use and have had no problems.
My only advise is to pay attention to the lable on how much to use.

Not necessary to let the carboy, bottles whatever dry out. The foam itself has a sanitizing effect and if in the carboy the wort will push the foam out. Mix according to directions; i.e. 1 Tablespoon to 5 gal.

Just follow the directions and Star-San works awesome. 1 oz to 5 gallons.
Don't fear the foam.

I tried Star-San and I didn't like it.. perhaps I'm using it wrong but it smelled egg-ey to me. I use BTF and have never had problems.

Back