A Few Random Keg Related Questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jonnio

Reaction score
I went and picked up 10 cornies today (I had said 8 originally, but if 8 is good 10s better right?) so now I have a couple quick questions. I apologize if these have been answered somewhere, but I searched and couldn't find it.

Do you guys buy the double seal rings or regular? I am going to put an order in to McMaster tonight on whatever seals I need to refurb all the kegs.

I have my porter ready to come out of the primary on Sunday, I am planning one week in the secondary, then hooking it up to CO2 in a keg at room temp until the Super Bowl - think that will work?

I am picking up most of the rest of the parts for my kegerator tomorrow. The tower comes with 5' of beer hose...should I have it replaced with more? I keep reading start with 10 then cut back, but I thought kits came "pre-balanced"

Thanks for helping with these random questions.

As far as I know my O-rings are regular. If you hook that Porter up at room temp, you'll need higher PSI to help absorption. My beer lines are about 6' long in my Sanyo 4912. I don't have any issues and I serve @ 10-12psi...

I am using regular joe single type Orings a far as I know, cheap and they seem to work fine.

10? I am sooooo jealous.

I dunno about rushing your conditioning. Ordinarily I would say high pressures and low temps make yeast slow down, but that is from reading not doing. You might ping wortmonger hoping for a judgement.

Poindexter said:
10? I am sooooo jealous.

Well, they were fairly cheap per keg with a 30 minute drive each way, so I figured I had to maximize the gas I was spending :)

@Jonnio

I have family in Huntsville and was wondering if you would share your Cornie connection. I'd like to see if my brother in law can pick up a few.

Cheers!

I got the contact from Jdoiv (Thanks again!)

Sun Drop Bottling Co
340 industrial blvd., pulaski, tn 38478

They were selling on e-bay, but are currently out of boxes, so no auctions going.

Its cash and carry (which I think I forgot to mention in my PM to you)

Pretty nice folks, but their stock is dwindling....the little voice inside me says to make another trip...the louder voice of SWMBO says you better not.

Regular seals will work just fine.

If you're carbing at room temp you should just prime it with sugar, you'll waste a LOT of gas trying to force carb.

Correct me if I am wrong but that will give a total aging time of 4-5 weeks; should be fine.

The total time from brew to serve is 5 weeks. I was reading that the beer needs time to condition after getting its carbonation, that is why I was thinking to keg it and carbonate it, then let it sit until our party. I could carbonate it at temp as well, my temp controller should be here before the beer is ready to transfer.

Jonnio said:
Sun Drop Bottling Co
340 industrial blvd., pulaski, tn 38478

They were selling on e-bay, but are currently out of boxes, so no auctions going.

Its cash and carry (which I think I forgot to mention in my PM to you)

Just curious, How much were they selling for cash and carry?

I remember seeing the listings on ebay, but the shipping was too high for my tastes. I've collected 6 so far locally for about $15 each.

Jonnio said:
The total time from brew to serve is 5 weeks. I was reading that the beer needs time to condition after getting its carbonation, that is why I was thinking to keg it and carbonate it, then let it sit until our party. I could carbonate it at temp as well, my temp controller should be here before the beer is ready to transfer.
I'd definitely carb at temp if that is an option. I'd say either way you'll be gtg by game time.

brewboard post about o-rings from mcmaster

you'll want to trim the dip tube so that you don't suck sediment. i trimmed mine 5/8" and it leaves behind about 7oz in the bottom; not a huge loss. if you trim the dip tubes, you'll want to do it now, so that you can allow the stainless steel to passivate. this just means that the SS needs to heal so that it won't rust in the future. 3-4 days should do it.

if possible, i'd carb cold. i carbed my first keg warm, at like 30psi, and its cold now at 15 psi, but there's just something off with the carb. as long as you get the pressures right it shouldn't be a problem, but it's just a hassle. just yesterday i force carbed a couple cold kegs in just a few minutes. i hooked them up to 25 psi until the gas stopped, shook like crazy for a couple minutes until the other keg was up to pressure, and then kept trading off gassing and shaking. i did this 3 times on each keg. took about 10mins and they're both nicely carbed a couple hours later.

kinison_fan said:
Just curious, How much were they selling for cash and carry?

I remember seeing the listings on ebay, but the shipping was too high for my tastes. I've collected 6 so far locally for about $15 each.

I paid $15 as well

Latest posts

Back