Alabama vote.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I will be calling Tammy Irons again and pleading... maybe she needs someone to wash her car or clean her office... I can do that...

I don't think either branch has set the special order yet. I bet there is a huge scramble by everyone to try and get their bills on the calendar for the last day.
You can check it on the Alison site but they don't usually post the final special order until are ready to call the first bill.
I wish there was a way to get some inside information on whether our bill is going to make it onto the calendar or not.

I bet you are right on the scramble. I think it will pass if it gets on the calendar, but that is a big IF...

I guess I will send and email to the Senators today asking them to support it. I don't know if it will do any good, but it certainly can't hurt.

Just called my Senator (spoke to his aid) and am trying to get a last minute phone blitz going...

I called mine (no answer) and followed it up with an email in support of the bill.

I'm hoping one of my colleagues is right and they'll put it on for the last day to appear to swoop in and 'save' the day. I'm fine with that if they pass it though. Frankly I don't think they should be able to continue to new business with subsequent sessions until everything from the previous one has been completed.

I called mine (no answer) and followed it up with an email in support of the bill.

I'm hoping one of my colleagues is right and they'll put it on for the last day to appear to swoop in and 'save' the day. I'm fine with that if they pass it though. Frankly I don't think they should be able to continue to new business with subsequent sessions until everything from the previous one has been completed.

Any bill that makes it through committee should be required to go up for a vote.

I sent an email to Senator Holtzclaw who is our representative on the Homebrewing bill to ask for support to get this bill on the calendar. The last day is going to be busy day because they still have the immigration bill to debate and everyone else that has a bill is pushing to get there's on the calendar for the last day. This bill passed the house on April 26th and it is really disappointing that it came down to the last day to have a chance.

I sent an email to Senator Holtzclaw who is our representative on the Homebrewing bill to ask for support to get this bill on the calendar. The last day is going to be busy day because they still have the immigration bill to debate and everyone else that has a bill is pushing to get there's on the calendar for the last day. This bill passed the house on April 26th and it is really disappointing that it came down to the last day to have a chance.
They will likely put the immigration bill 1st so I hope our bill is only one or two behind. They will waste most, if not all, of the day on the immigration bill. They still haven't passed a general fund budget either. They are going to call a special session this year for legislative redistricting.

I have called Tammy Irons again, as well as Jabo Waggoner and Del Marsh (as per the mass email the AHA just sent out). I have also posted on my facebook begging all my friends to call them too!

Got this email from senator Holtzclaw this afternoon that gives me hope. Especially the fact that he says there is no opposition to this bill. It is as follows:

I apologize for the delay in thanking you for supporting HB354. I’m happy to support you and Representative McCutcheon to get this bill passed.

I won’t sugarcoat this – we are literally down to the wire with one legislative day remaining; Wednesday the 16th of May. This bill has simply come too far to not get it’s fair shot on the Senate floor. I requested that it be placed on the Special Order Calendar last week but was unable to have it pushed through the log jam of bills.

I have a couple of “silver bullets” left and will use one this week, hopefully ensuring HB354 is placed on the Calendar. You can visit this page to see what bills are placed on the calendar for next Wednesday - http://www.legislature.state.al.us/senate/senaterules/senaterulescommspecialordercalendar.html

I have also been at work talking with colleagues on both sides of the isle to uncover any opposition and am happy to report that no one has shown any opposition…hopefully that will continue hold true. Wednesday will be a wild and wooly day! Thanks again for your support.

Semper Fi

Bill

If we get this through, I think we should have a huge party and invite Mac, Holtzclaw, Irons and the others that have worked for us!

Got this email from senator Holtzclaw this afternoon that gives me hope. Especially the fact that he says there is no opposition to this bill. It is as follows:

I apologize for the delay in thanking you for supporting HB354. I’m happy to support you and Representative McCutcheon to get this bill passed.

I won’t sugarcoat this – we are literally down to the wire with one legislative day remaining; Wednesday the 16th of May. This bill has simply come too far to not get it’s fair shot on the Senate floor. I requested that it be placed on the Special Order Calendar last week but was unable to have it pushed through the log jam of bills.

I have a couple of “silver bullets” left and will use one this week, hopefully ensuring HB354 is placed on the Calendar. You can visit this page to see what bills are placed on the calendar for next Wednesday - http://www.legislature.state.al.us/senate/senaterules/senaterulescommspecialordercalendar.html

I have also been at work talking with colleagues on both sides of the isle to uncover any opposition and am happy to report that no one has shown any opposition…hopefully that will continue hold true. Wednesday will be a wild and wooly day! Thanks again for your support.

Semper Fi

Bill

That is huge. I hadn't heard anything at all - a personal response like this, from someone who sounds like they actually care, gives me hope when I had just about given up on it.

I got this email today. Get on the phone Monday and call these guys!

Dear Alabama AHA, BA and Support Your Local Brewery Members,

This is the final opportunity to legalize homebrewing in Alabama this year!

The American Homebrewers Association is working with a group of homebrewers in Alabama to legalize homebrewing in the state.

There is just one day left in the 2012 legislative session that the Alabama Senate can vote on House Bill 354. If it is not brought to a vote, it will die with the end of the session. This is the farthest homebrew legalization legislation has ever come in the state, but the outcome is by no means sure.

How Can You Help?
Please call or email the Senate Rules Committee Chair and the Senate Pro Tem to request that HB354 be placed on the Special Order Calendar for a vote Wednesday.

Senator Jabo Waggoner, Rules Committee Chairperson
334-242-7892

Senator Del Marsh, President Pro Tempore
(Please contact the Senator's Chief of Staff)
334-242-7877

If you have not yet called the Senator’s office for your district, please do so and leave a message with his or her assistant politely asking the Senator to pass HB354 to legalize homebrewing this session.

Thank you for your support of homebrewers. Your action will make the difference in whether or not this legislation becomes law. Please forward this message on to any other Alabama residents/businesses that you feel would be interested in supporting this bill.

Sincerely,

Charlie Papazian
President
Brewers Association

Gary Glass
Director
American Homebrewers Association

Senator Jabo Waggoner
Senate Majority Leader

Current Office: Alabama Senate District 16
Party: Republican
State House: (334) 242-7892
Home: (205) 822-7443
Business: (205) 978-7405
Fax: (334) 353-8255
Business Fax: (205) 978-7406
[email protected]

Our Current Legislative Goals
Based on our lobbying efforts, we believe Senator Waggoner...
Might Support raising the container size restriction.
Supports homebrew legalization.

Senator Del Marsh
Senate President Pro Tempore

Current Office: Alabama Senate District 12
Party: Republican
State House: (334) 242-7877
Home: (256) 237-1931
Work: (256) 237-8647
Fax: (256) 237-1579

Our Current Legislative Goals
Based on our lobbying efforts, we believe Senator Marsh...
Supports raising the container size restriction.
Supports homebrew legalization.

I have called them both as well as called and emailed my local senator. I will email Waggoner and Marsh as well. Posted phone numbers for all three on my facebook page and asked all my friends to call. I have gotten some promises, hope they follow through.

Semper Fi

Bill

I received this exact same email after I had emailed him earlier today. I hope one of his "silver bullets" work.

They are hearing us. Just got this email from Philip Bryan.

Appreciate the email Blake, i assure you that Senator Marsh supports this bill. We'll do what we can to bring this up on wednesday - thanks again - pb

--
Philip Bryan
Chief of Staff
Office of the Senate President Pro Tempore
[email protected]
334.300.8540 (cell)

They are hearing us. Just got this email from Philip Bryan.

Appreciate the email Blake, i assure you that Senator Marsh supports this bill. We'll do what we can to bring this up on wednesday - thanks again - pb

--
Philip Bryan
Chief of Staff
[email protected]
334.300.8540 (cell)

Mine was actually a little different, but positive:

Ed, thanks for your email. I'll pass along your email to Senator Marsh. It's our hope that we can get to HB354 on Wednesday - thanks again. pb

--
Philip Bryan
Chief of Staff

I'm acquainted with Del Marsh from some years ago and had written:

Dear Del,

You and I were members of Grace Episcopal some years ago and our rector got me into homebrewing. Please see that the Homebrew Legalization Bill is brought to a vote Wednesday.....etc.

I agree. Any bill that gets through committee should be required to be voted on. However, unlike the real world... In politics you can apparently leave jobs incomplete because....... Well, I got nothing but they do.

That said, I got a reply from our delegate (whose name I will not repeat so I do not create backlash on them) and he wholeheartedly supports the bill.

Edit - Adding email text:
Thank you for contacting our office. Senator >***< is a supporter of this bill and intends to vote favorably for it if/when it comes before the Senate for a vote. Please let me know if our office can be of assistance to you in the future.

Would that be a conflict of interest? Also we would need at least a month to make some....

If it passes through we should have a huge bash somewhere in Alabama to celebrate. I'm sure the AHA would be all for that.
If the politicians just happen to show up then all the better. :D

Since the question of thanking these guys has come up, a quick note on Mac McCutcheon: The ALCAP people (neo-prohibitionist religious right) are pissed at him for pushing the homebrew bill so hard. He's worked his tail off for us for 3 years now, and he's taking some heat for it. The word is that ALCAP is planning to run someone against him in the primary election in 2 years. Now, the bill hasn't passed yet (crossing fingers for a senate vote on Wednesday!), and Mac can't take and campaign contributions until June 2013. But if you're happy with the work he's done for us, you might consider sending his campaign a check next year.

I guess according to ALCAP there is no room in Alabama politics for anyone that is not a narrow minded, judgmental prick.

When homebrew is outlawed only outlaws homebrew.

Oh, and normal family men who hold down a job, pay taxes, and contribute to society.

ALCAP wants to get Mac McCutcheon out of office because he actually did what his constituents wanted?

ALCAP needs to feel the wrath of the people.

Jesus Christ would not be welcomed by the "moral compass" because he turned water into wine.

ALCAP wants to get Mac McCutcheon out of office because he actually did what his constituents wanted?

ALCAP needs to feel the wrath of the people.

Jesus Christ would not be welcomed by the "moral compass" because he turned water into wine.

He hung out with a prostitute too. Plus I'm pretty sure he wasn't born in America.. So Jesus is right out.

He hung out with a prostitute too. Plus I'm pretty sure he wasn't born in America.. So Jesus is right out.

For that matter, God himself too...

Numbers 28:7-

The accompanying drink offering is to be a quarter of a hin of fermented drink with each lamb. Pour out the drink offering to the LORD at the sanctuary.

Sacrifices of food and drink were believed consumed by Yahweh, so God was having a little nip too. To bad he didn't have ALCAP to keep him in line...

For that matter, God himself too...

Numbers 28:7-

The accompanying drink offering is to be a quarter of a hin of fermented drink with each lamb. Pour out the drink offering to the LORD at the sanctuary.

Sacrifices of food and drink were believed consumed by Yahweh, so God was having a little nip too. To bad he didn't have ALCAP to keep him in line...

Wow, if every single person poured a little for God that has to be one loaded diety! Because all that fermented goodness adds up!

Wow, if every single person poured a little for God that has to be one loaded diety! Because all that fermented goodness adds up!

Of course, having been around for billions of years, I'd imagine the dude has one hell of a tolerance.

Latest posts

Back