Batch not bubbling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cacaca86

Reaction score
Slightly worried.... One of my smaller batches is rarely bubbling... Maybe 4-5 bubbles per minute. Looks like the yeasties have slowed down, i dont even have a bubbling layer at the top anymore... Its only been going 1.5 wks. What should i do, if anything? This one has the blow off line, as it was originally going to explode 2 days after starting.... I hope it'll beokay

:(

Might be done, hard to tell without additional info: batch size, yeast strain, gen recipe, etc...
Don't go by bubbles, use a hydrometer, it's the only certain way to tell if it's done or not.
Regards, GF.

Airlock activity shouldn't be relied on to tell about fermentation. Sanitize something and grab a sample and check with a hydrometer. It's the only way to really be sure. But if it was going crazy for a few days and since has slowed...there's a good chance it will be ready

X4

And a tasting, just to make sure it isn't poison!!!!!
Also, don't hesitate to swirl that batch just a bit to rouse the yeast. Doesn't hurt anything that I can tell.

Its a 1/2 gallon batch made with store bought juice. Used 1/4 packt of red star. Will do a test tonight! Thanks

Forgot the recipe was .5 gal juice. Stove top 20 min with 1/4 cup honey and brown sugar. Also added 1/4 cup corn sugar by accident lol thought it was cane sugar...opps. Added yeast after cooling to 70 degrees, also added 3 chopped tart red apples to the batch.

ColbyJack said:
X4

And a tasting, just to make sure it isn't poison!!!!!
Also, don't hesitate to swirl that batch just a bit to rouse the yeast. Doesn't hurt anything that I can tell.

Poison as in tastes like dog crap??? Lol

From my experience, the first 4-5 days have vigorous fermentation. A little kreusen, a little heat (warmer than the room) lots of gas, and the cider churning in the carboy, almost like a boil. After that most of it disappears except for a little gas escaping, but really you should leave it in the primary and give the yeast some time to work on it more. The only way to know is to measure the gravity (almost typed gravy, lol). Let it sit a couple weeks, then measure the gravity 3 days in a row. If the number is them same, and isn't really high (which might indicate stuck fermentation) then you are good to go.

Latest posts

Back