4 gallon batches

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

poetic_entropy

Reaction score
Hey all,

Just wanted to check my current situation. I have just upgraded from mister beer to a 5 gallon bucket. (I will be using a carboy once I find one, also am working on a buddy making me a conical fermentor, we'll see.

3.75 IPA extract, 2# DME, 1/2 # honey 2 oz wilamette hops last 10 as it cooled

So here is my question:

Beer seems extra dark, when I racked it to secondary, and had a dry bitter flavor.
Good but a little bite.

Is this going to be too strong(I don't have a hydrometer yet, next batch)

How much time do I give it before I rack it to bottles. It is running @ 65-69 deg

You don't specify....was this a full boil, or partial boil?

Is it a four or five gallon batch?

How long in the primary?

What kind of activity are you getting now, foaming, krausen, the like?

Are you just getting nervous? Remember, good beer takes more time than we'd like to give it.

The recipe was for a 5 gallon batch, I did everything but only brewed 4 gallons
2.5 gallons in the boil, the rest was cold water. It spent 7 days in the primary with a lot of action the first 5 days. When I popped thelid the kraesen was pretty much gone and I lost about 1/4 gallon in evap through the blow off tube.

I guess I need to get a hydrometer so I can tell you more.

Just wanted to make sure that I can bottle in 10 days as my plan

Thanks

Cecil

If the recipe was for five gallons, and you ended up with four, it will definitely be strong.

The amount of water you added to the partial boil quantity probably did not total five gallons, since fermentation will not evaporate any amount of water.

Seven days in the primary and ten days in the secondary may not be enough to prevent bottle bombs.

You may want to wait a bit longer................................:(

Thanks for the heads up,

My wife would probably put an end to my brewing real quick like...

Thanks for all the help

Cecil

Back