BierMunchers Rolling Kegerator (BYO Published)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Don’t think it didn’t cross my mind. I figured I’d try and give an HBT salute, but it was a bit obvious so I had to play it safe….but I was thinking it… :D

The pictures and story were great! Last night in bed, while I was reading BYO and Bob was reading Newsweek, I excitedly said to Bob, "Look at this Bob!" He looks and says, "Oh, nice.". I said, "no, no, Bob- we KNOW him. You know, Biermuncher!" Bob looked at me like I had finally lost my mind.

That was as exciting as seeing me, Richbrewer, and Edwort in last month's Zymurgy. (We were in the third row as part of a "crowd" scene!)

I am now imaginary friends with famous people! :rockin:

The pictures and story were great! Last night in bed, while I was reading BYO and Bob was reading Newsweek, I excitedly said to Bob, "Look at this Bob!" He looks and says, "Oh, nice.". I said, "no, no, Bob- we KNOW him. You know, Biermuncher!" Bob looked at me like I had finally lost my mind.

That was as exciting as seeing me, Richbrewer, and Edwort in last month's Zymurgy. (We were in the third row as part of a "crowd" scene!)

I am now imaginary friends with famous people! :rockin:

Too funny.

I dunno Yoop.
  • Me in bed with you and the hubby?
  • You and Rich and Edwort together?
Seems your finding yourself in some "threesomes" lately.

No that there's anything wrong with that...:p

Too funny.

I dunno Yoop.
  • Me in bed with you and the hubby?
  • You and Rich and Edwort together?
Seems your finding yourself in some "threesomes" lately.

No that there's anything wrong with that...:p

Yeah, I guess it's weird that Bob and I were talking about you in bed last night, isn't it!

Three is a good number, if you ask me..................................

BM, YB, I just can't stop LOLing at this. Everyone is giving me funny looks. Both of you are teh tits!

I'm stuck between two emotional states right now.

Tickled that someone I 'know' on the interwebz has achieved a level of cult notoriety. ;)

Pissed that my copy of BYO hasn't arrived yet! :mad:

Oh bother.

Glad to see you got some well deserved recognition. One request for future publishees. How about a little nod to your HBT name. I was reading it today and thinking; "I know this was the project on HBT, but who the h**l is Kevin? Hmmm.... Was it BM's, EdWort, Bird?"

That's a nice idea, pl, but I think BYO would just edit it out anyways. I think that John Beere had mentioned a few different HBT plugs that he wrote into the article, being taken back out by them. (In ref to the Walk-In Cooler project)

Note to self: HBT name will be prominently displayed in any pictures submitted to BYO.

Note to BYO: This board and it's members are responsible for 80% of your content this month, and a significant portion every other month. Quit being *****y about it...

I'm listening to Basic Brewing Radio - Building a Kegerator and they mention this for a few minutes! So, congrats again!

this is indeed a great design and portable to boot. I have a question about carbonating..Does this system product enough c02 pressure that you carbonated your kegs with it..or did you have to prime your kegs first..and this setup is JUST used for dispensing???

Dan

Simply due to the cost of swapping out the lil' cartridges, and also knowing a bit about BM's brewing/kegging setup, I would feel fairly certain saying that he carbed them with a normal CO2 tank, probably in his keezer, and then just used the lil' cartridges to push the beer.

I'm sure you *could* use the lil' carts to carbonate with..... but I bet the unneeded $$ outflow would pay for a 5# CO2 canister within a few months.

Sorry to drag up an old post..but I did it...I went to Lowe's the day after Thanksgiving and they had 3 of these little CO2 systems left on the shelf for $49.00...so I bought one, and a small trash can and WILL be putting together my own little "portable" tapper to serve my hard cider and mead from. Should be cool.

Dan

Sorry to drag up an old post..but I did it...I went to Lowe's the day after Thanksgiving and they had 3 of these little CO2 systems left on the shelf for $49.00...so I bought one, and a small trash can and WILL be putting together my own little "portable" tapper to serve my hard cider and mead from. Should be cool.

Dan

Post some pics of the unit in action.

I've got to get the system put together first. ha ha ha. I need to go to my local DIY shop and buy some clamps, nipple fittings, etc etc....to get it all set up.

Hi guys,

sorry to bring this old thread back to life, but it is a goodie !, a friend of mine on another brewing group alerted me to this thread.

I was over at Canadian Tire last night, and saw this JacPac regulator kit on sale for $99.99
see it here in our flyer :
http://img10.imageshack.us/img10/8568/portableco2.jpg

it's $30 off... I got excited seeing this, and when I got home, posted about it, only to find that many had been using this device for some time, and that it was actually on sale for $60-something dollars, some months ago or so.

That is pretty depressing, because I don't feel like buying it at $99, if somebody picked it up for say $69

How are you guys finding this JacPac device ? can you dispense beer at say 5 psi easily ? ... I ask this, because this thing is meant for high-power output, for staple guns etc.... so figured it may do better ( be more accurate ) at higher psi output levels.... but I'm hoping everyone will say it's amazing at low psi output.

Thanks for any info guys, and how has the JacPac been holding up ? .. I see this this post is about a year old, so you guys have put some good months of use on the JacPac regulator by now :)

thanks for your time !

...How are you guys finding this JacPac device ? can you dispense beer at say 5 psi easily ?...

That looks like the identical item.

It works fine. Just don't rely on the gauge to get you to your 5-7PSI range.

I just open the gas enough to get the needle off the peg and it pushes just fine.

Remember that you're not force carbing. It's a serving mechanism and just enough pressure to push is all you need. It works great for that.

Hi BierMuncher,

Thanks for the info.

How much do you think I'll need in parts ($ ) to buy what you have there, - I will only be using a single keg at at time to gas, and I have a QD, the tubing, and the Odie clamps already.

I'm also wondering if you have any leakage where the whole thing hooks to the output stem of the actual gauge area.... I have an air compressor, and if you just even move the brass parts a bit, you can hear air leaking out... I can't really see how you hooked up the tube to the gauge area from your pics... ( do you have any other pics in another thread ? )

anyway, amazing job, and your kegorator on wheels is great too !

:ban:

I just open the gas enough to get the needle off the peg and it pushes just fine.

Remember that you're not force carbing. It's a serving mechanism and just enough pressure to push is all you need. It works great for that.

ah, I forgot to respond to your post ...

yah I only indend on gassing it slightly and never going to force-carb with it, so that's good to hear that it will work fine... this thing is intended to be used with high psi output, so I figured it would be more accurate up about 100 psi or so, but that's good to know, about just opening the thing a tiny bit to let some gas out... good to know, thanks for the tip.

I'm building yet another portable draft device... this one uses a one gallon keg inside an old 3 gallon Gatorade cooler that I found at a garage sale... I'm kicking around different ideas on how to mount the co2 tank to the outside wall of the cooler. The coat hanger idea seems brilliant, as usual, kudos to BM. Anyone else have a mounting idea they would care to share?

Cheers

The last internal piece was figuring out how to mount the CO2 tank. It was easier than I thought...an 8" piece of coat hanger bent to shape and jabbed into the styrofoam wall and we keep the canister off of the ice.

View attachment 6846
View attachment 6847

I'm building yet another portable draft device... this one uses a one gallon keg inside an old 3 gallon Gatorade cooler that I found at a garage sale... I'm kicking around different ideas on how to mount the co2 tank to the outside wall of the cooler. The coat hanger idea seems brilliant, as usual, kudos to BM. Anyone else have a mounting idea they would care to share?

Cheers

Does your cooler have one of those cup dispenser mounts? If so, a small paintball tank could fit in it.

This is just great, in every sense of the word. I will be building one ASAP as I have most of the spare parts lying around and wood leftover from my bar. I do not however have a trashcan to use. I looked online real quick thinking I could pick one up for 20 bucks...which you can if you get a round one, but it seems that asking for a rectangular trashcan is worth an extra 50 bucks. I can't find one for under 70! What is the most inexpensive trashcan I could get away with and have it function properly (I would only have 2 taps max...just one to start with)

This is just great, in every sense of the word. I will be building one ASAP as I have most of the spare parts lying around and wood leftover from my bar. I do not however have a trashcan to use. I looked online real quick thinking I could pick one up for 20 bucks...which you can if you get a round one, but it seems that asking for a rectangular trashcan is worth an extra 50 bucks. I can't find one for under 70! What is the most inexpensive trashcan I could get away with and have it function properly (I would only have 2 taps max...just one to start with)

I picked mine up at Walmart for $29 (or so).

Biermuncher, thanks for the info! I nabbed one for $27 at Wally World! Can't wait to start building!

Back