Sizing your Chest Freezer for Corny Kegs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thadius,

If I could like all your posts at once, I would but I thought a personal "shout out" was more appropriate. I really appreciate you posting all this info on these freezers. I'm sure I'm not alone when I say that. Thanks man!

Does anyone know if the hump in the Magic Chef HMCF7W goes all the way front to back like other freezers or is it just in the rear corner like the Maytag 14.8CF Thanks.

I have posted some photos. Just scroll down to post #8 and you'll see the inside of the Magic Chef 7.0 with two 5gal ball locks and two 2.5gal ball locks on the hump. I know it will hold at least three 5gal ball locks on the floor.
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/its-keezer-time-371325/

Will this Magic Chef fit two carboys in the lower section?? (assuming there is nothing else in there_

Magic Chef 7.2 cu. ft. at Home Depot for $219

ChestFreezer-MagicChef-7.2.jpg

Thanks Limulus. Looks like you could probably fit 4 ball locks in there if Kasrkin is talking about the same freezer. Sucks the 2.5s stacked are too high. I may still just pull the plug and get that freezer since I have everything (taps, tower, tanks, kegs, etc) else but temp control and a CO2 distributor.

The one Kasrkin posted definitely looks different. The front to back dimension looks larger than my 7.0. It's like that one was made for kegs. There was an HD store not too far from me that still had about 6 left when I was in there not too long ago. They still had the $158 price on them. My local store sold them all quickly. I'm going to try to pay that other store a visit this weekend. I may just buy another one if they still have them.

The one Kasrkin posted definitely looks different. The front to back dimension looks larger than my 7.0. It's like that one was made for kegs. There was an HD store not too far from me that still had about 6 left when I was in there not too long ago. They still had the $158 price on them. My local store sold them all quickly. I'm going to try to pay that other store a visit this weekend. I may just buy another one if they still have them.

FYI, that magic chef 7.0 (I think) at Home depot will hold 4 ball locks on the floor. I have it and 4 kegs in mine.

FYI, that magic chef 7.0 (I think) at Home depot will hold 4 ball locks on the floor. I have it and 4 kegs in mine.

In the 7.0 class:

The GE (S-model), Holiday, Haier and Magic Chef fit 4 on the floor.

The GE (D-model) and Igloo fit 3 on the floor.

The jury's still out on the Hanover and Danby models.

I haven't started kegging yet, but I have a "dorm fridge" that I was thinking about converting into a kegerator, so I was wondering what the diameter of your circles are considering I don't have corny kegs yet? That way I can get an idea on whether or not I want to convert the fridge

TIA

I know a 4.4 refer can fit 2 and a 5lbs c02 in it.

I looked through about 20 some pages and didnt see what I needed. I just got a 2 ball lock setup. For now Im just gonna run picnic taps but will build a collar this summer. What freezer in the 5-7cu foot range will hold 2 kegs and a 5lb tank without a collar? Thanks

I looked through about 20 some pages and didnt see what I needed. I just got a 2 ball lock setup. For now Im just gonna run picnic taps but will build a collar this summer. What freezer in the 5-7cu foot range will hold 2 kegs and a 5lb tank without a collar? Thanks

Seems like all 5cu.ft. freezers will fit two ball locks and a 5# without a collar. Are you EVER going to add a third keg? maybe a fourth? If you have the space and money for a 7 cu.ft. freezer, I'd go that route so you have room for expansion in the future if you ever want it.

Seems like all 5cu.ft. freezers will fit two ball locks and a 5# without a collar. Are you EVER going to add a third keg? maybe a fourth? If you have the space and money for a 7 cu.ft. freezer, I'd go that route so you have room for expansion in the future if you ever want it.

Im looking at the 7cu holiday right now its about as big as I can go with the limited space i have. I dont plan on having more than 2 kegs but one never knows. Im sure many people here started out with 1 and it turned into many.

Im looking at the 7cu holiday right now its about as big as I can go with the limited space i have. I dont plan on having more than 2 kegs but one never knows. Im sure many people here started out with 1 and it turned into many.

Yeah, I started with a 2 keg system and recently bumped up to a 4 keg. I was looking at the 14.8 for 8+ kegs but decided 2 7's would work out better for my needs. I can use one for kegs and one for a fermentation chamber and if I need to have more on tap I can just pop a few kegs in the fermentation chamber with picnic taps.

If you don't want the full 7 cu ft, check out the Danby 5.5. It can hold 3 ball locks on the floor. Or the Igloo 5.2, which can be set as warm as 50F without an external controller.

See the link in my sig for detailed drawings. I don't have the Igloo 5.2 posted yet, but maybe you'll find what you're looking for.

If you don't want the full 7 cu ft, check out the Danby 5.5. It can hold 3 ball locks on the floor. Or the Igloo 5.2, which can be set as warm as 50F without an external controller.

See the link in my sig for detailed drawings. I don't have the Igloo 5.2 posted yet, but maybe you'll find what you're looking for.

Thanks for the useful info. I think Ive decided on the holiday 7 so that way if I expand down the road Ill be good to go.

Been reading, but am somewhat confused. In the original posts by Ed he indicated one 5 cu. footer would hold three ball locks and a 20# co2 bottle I THOUGHT? Is there such an animal?

Kenmore 14.8 holds 7 homebrew kegs on the floor without a collar and then plenty of room on the shelf for 3 co2 tanks...........however how can I regulate the temp? My beer has frozen!!!!

Kenmore 14.8 holds 7 homebrew kegs on the floor without a collar and then plenty of room on the shelf for 3 co2 tanks...........however how can I regulate the temp? My beer has frozen!!!!

I bought a Johnson temp controller from northern brewer...works great...my keezer is the 19.8 Kenmore elite which I need to get specs posted to this thread for.

Food luck with the frozen beers....I had a friend who accidentally left his probe out after cleaning his keezer and had 14 kegs freeze! After thawing we could never get the brew to have any carbonation....not really sure why...

Been reading, but am somewhat confused. In the original posts by Ed he indicated one 5 cu. footer would hold three ball locks and a 20# co2 bottle I THOUGHT? Is there such an animal?

The Danby does. Check the link in my sig.

The Igloo might as well, but I haven't drawn it up yet. Keep getting side-tracked.

I bought a Johnson temp controller from northern brewer...works great...my keezer is the 19.8 Kenmore elite which I need to get specs posted to this thread for.

How exactly does that work? Do you have to wire it in to your freezer wiring? Or it just dangles inside the freezer and adjust your freezer accordingly ?

External temp controllers work by plugging the controller into the outlet, and plugging your freezer or fridge's power cord into the controller. The controller has it's own temperature probe which goes into your freezer. You set the temperature at which you want the freezer to hold at, turn the freezer to it's max cooling setting, and the controller will turn on and off the freezer as needed to maintain the temperature you set. They're very necessary if you are turning a freezer into a keezer. I have the simple analog Johnson and it works great for my keezer. I use an STC-1000 (ebay temp controller bought from Amazon :drunk:) for my ferm chamber.

I haven't started kegging yet, but I have a "dorm fridge" that I was thinking about converting into a kegerator, so I was wondering what the diameter of your circles are considering I don't have corny kegs yet? That way I can get an idea on whether or not I want to convert the fridge

TIA

Corny kegs are approx 9" in dia and 23" tall.
Check out the following link:
http://www.micromatic.com/beer-questions/sizes-keg-draft-beer-available-aid-11.html
Most dorm fridge with the hump in back will only accept one corny without modifying. Search for setup's here on HBT.com.
Lots of info...just look for it.

Prost! :mug:

oops...I need to look at the date on the post before I reply...sooorrryyy! :drunk:

I just have to say i am pretty grateful for this and many other threads on this site.

I have a Frigidaire 7cuft freezer and i can get 6 ball lock kegs in it with my 2x8 (or 2x10) collar. I only have three taps, so it gives me storage space for my replacement kegs. I can post pics if there is any interest.

Three sit staggered on the floor and three staggered on the hump. One of the ones on the hump is only mostly on the hump but the other kegs help keep it in place just fine. I have the collar hinged as well as the lid and moving things in and out is not an issue.

I followed the advice at the beginning of the thread and had circles cut out for the foot print of my kegs. The guy selling the freezer looked at me funny when i went to look at it.

Thanks for all the help guys

I just have to say i am pretty grateful for this and many other threads on this site.

I have a Frigidaire 7cuft freezer and i can get 6 ball lock kegs in it with my 2x8 (or 2x10) collar. I only have three taps, so it gives me storage space for my replacement kegs. I can post pics if there is any interest.

Three sit staggered on the floor and three staggered on the hump. One of the ones on the hump is only mostly on the hump but the other kegs help keep it in place just fine. I have the collar hinged as well as the lid and moving things in and out is not an issue.

I followed the advice at the beginning of the thread and had circles cut out for the foot print of my kegs. The guy selling the freezer looked at me funny when i went to look at it.

I have the same freezer and I can squeeze 4 on the floor. If I had a big enough collar I would be able to put 2 more on the hump. I bet that third one on the hump is just on the hump a little bit. Might be more stable if you put 4 on the floor?

I have the same freezer and I can squeeze 4 on the floor. If I had a big enough collar I would be able to put 2 more on the hump. I bet that third one on the hump is just on the hump a little bit. Might be more stable if you put 4 on the floor?
I'm really not too worried about the one that is not all the way on the hump. It really has nowhere to go.

Though now i kinda have to go back and see if i can get four on the floor. the little extra space might come in handy.

Thanks for the info/challenge :mug:

Found a Kenmore on CL and have the OD and ID (the guys doesn't know the cubic ft) and the model # he gave me is useless search-wise.

1) If I have the inner dimensions in inches, what's the best way to determine the cubic feet? Just cause...

2) Do any of you guys ever move your freezers for parties and whatnot? Should I even consider portability that when considering size? This one will be primarily stationed in my basement.

3) What's a reasonable height without a collar? The one I'm considering has an ID height of 29".

4) Finally, do any of you have any luck compartmentalizing your chest freezers, i.e., one side keezer temp, one side ferm temp?

TYIA!

Found a Kenmore on CL and have the OD and ID (the guys doesn't know the cubic ft) and the model # he gave me is useless search-wise.

1) If I have the inner dimensions in inches, what's the best way to determine the cubic feet? Just cause...

2) Do any of you guys ever move your freezers for parties and whatnot? Should I even consider portability that when considering size? This one will be primarily stationed in my basement.

3) What's a reasonable height without a collar? The one I'm considering has an ID height of 29".

4) Finally, do any of you have any luck compartmentalizing your chest freezers, i.e., one side keezer temp, one side ferm temp?

TYIA!

1) Length (in.) * Width (in.) * Height (in.) / 1728 = cu. ft.

2) I don't, for a number of reasons.
A) It's easier to take a growler or make a jockey box.
B) Can't plug it in for a few hours after tipping it on it's back or side.
C) Every time you move a freezer you run a risk (very slight) of damaging a coil.
D) Moving full cornies disturbs the sediment.

3) Mine is 34" as delivered. I added a 6" collar and put it on a dolly that makes it 43" overall.

4) With coils all around the sides of the freezer it wouldn't be too easy to keep part of it at ale fermentation temperatures and the rest at beer serving temperatures.

What ever you end up doing, think it through before starting, it's better than doing it again to correct problems.

I'm very interested in this model you two have. I've never seen a 7 cf model fit 6 kegs, save one model that's no longer in production. Can you post the measurements to the thread in my sig? I'd love to add it and draw it up.

1) Length (in.) * Width (in.) * Height (in.) / 1728 = cu. ft.

Or check the specs in my sig thread for comparison.

Advantages/ disadvantages of putting C02 inside or outside Keezer? Is it just a space issue? Does it work better in or out? Does temp have anything to do with it or is it just a matter of not having to run lines outside in and not having to hide the C02 bottle if it's outside. Building a Keezer would be a fun and great project! Thanks?

I'm very interested in this model you two have. I've never seen a 7 cf model fit 6 kegs, save one model that's no longer in production. Can you post the measurements to the thread in my sig? I'd love to add it and draw it up.

Or check the specs in my sig thread for comparison.

Model number is FFC07C3AW1

The site doesn't let me add pics from my phone but i think i can get some up tonight.

Advantages/ disadvantages of putting C02 inside or outside Keezer? Is it just a space issue? Does it work better in or out? Does temp have anything to do with it or is it just a matter of not having to run lines outside in and not having to hide the C02 bottle if it's outside. Building a Keezer would be a fun and great project! Thanks?

Matter of preference. Maybe very slightly performance difference when force carbing (doubtful). Only real difference is high-side gauge reads lower when in a cold keezer than outside at room temperature and routing gas lines.

I prefer mine inside. I know there it won't get knocked over. I've seen punctured propane tanks take off like torpedoes.

Thank you for the CAD thread, it is very helpful. I am considering purchasing a GE-7(s) freezer but don't know if the configuration I want is going to work. It looks like it might, but I don't see it among the versions shown in that thread.

Is it possible to have 3 5-gal PIN kegs, a 5-gal glass carboy and a 5# CO2 container in the GE-7(s)? I imagine the 5-gal carboy footprint is less that the 6-gal, so you could just use the 6 in your model. I'm hoping for a Prez Day sale tomorrow on the freezer.

Scratch and dent or possibly demo 7.2 Igloo freezer available locally for $95. They also have a 5.2, but according the the size guide Thadius has up it won't hold three BL's and a 20# bottle, so I'll go with the 7.2 if they still have them. Though the guide doesn't have the 7.2 yet I will assume that three kegs and the bottle will fit in there. Anyone had a problem with Igloo products?

Just wanted to shout out to all the resources and help received here.. actually built this last summer, been meaning to post.

7.0 GE bought at HD (~$200 delivered).

img_20130227_184521_574-58817.jpg

edit
edit

Fits four kegs on the floor max plus one on the hump (wish I had seen your thread at the time Thadeus! would have saved me a ton of time) - my collar isn't quite tall enough to hook the one on the hump with air, but fine for storage (7 1/4" collar)

img_20130227_184622_704-58816.jpg

cheers!

GE 7 cf freezer, I can only get 3 ball lock kegs in mine. If I hammer on the hump I might be able to fit one more.

image-129715140.jpg

Back