Belgium Caramel Wit...odd flavor

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GriffsBrews

Reaction score
Evening all,

I just did up a Belgium Caramel Wit(BB kits). This is my first wit, and not sure I have ever drank one.

My question here is this....this brew came out with a great color, ABV, and perfect carbonation. It fermented in primary for about 5 days...then 2ndaryijust to let more sediment settle) for about 2 days....and is now 1 week into its bottling cycle. Gave it a taste test, and there is an odd flavor, and I can't quite put my finger on it. The best description I can give, is its almost like a very subtle rotten fruit taste.....like aged apples....not sure if that makes sense. I can smell it in the beer, and can taste a bit after it goes down. However, the beer has a fantastic "beer" flavor to it.

Do I just need to let it sit longer in bottle to mature?
Is this just how Wits taste?

Any advice would be helpful, and I will do my best to answer any questions that may lead to a solution.

::mug:: happy friday everyone, and than you in advance for your time!

2 key things you said, apples and 1 week into bottling. Let it ride at room temp another 2-3 weeks, and I'm willing to bet the yeast should clean that up.

I'm not familiar with that kit, and caramel & wit don't normally go together, but I'm sure it's not an intended flavor.

Sounds like may just be young. Your process also sounds a bit rushed w only one week total before bottling. Give it at least another 2-3 weeks and it will likely improve. You'll learn that a little patience with the process pays off.

Definately leave it in primary for longer. I typically leave in primary for 2 weeks (1 if I am rushing production) and 1-2 weeks in secondary. Clear beer and cleaned up off flavors

Sorry for the late reply.

I appreciate all the feedback, and I will slow down the process considerably from here. Got a Scottish Ale coming next, ill let ya know how it goes.

Thanks again guys

I just bottled a brown ale that I had brewed the last week of May. There were no off flavors because the yeast had lots of time to clean up byproducts. The dormant yeast had settled very well but there were plenty of active yeasts to carbonate when I added the corn sugar. Within a week of being bottled this beer was ready to drink, mature and carbonated and the bottles showed very little yeast in the bottom. I think your beer just needed more time. Try it in two weeks and see if it hasn't improved greatly.:rockin:

Back