using yeast for different types of brews?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wormraper

Reaction score
Ok, I finished my first brew which was a Bavarian Hef using WYeast 3068 (turned out AMAZING... it's only bottled for a week and a half and is nearly completely carbed already)

I washed the yeast as per the sticky's directions and have 4 pint jars with washed 3068 yeast in it. Now I know many neutral yeasts like Safale-05 or Notty etc can be used with different types of brews, but can I use 3068 as the yeast for any other brew besides a Hefeweizen??

Go on Wyeasts website, they show styles that work with each type of yeast strain.

It's good for fruit beers. There's also a rye style (Roggenbier) it's used in. Since the yeast has a distinct flavor and doesn't flocculate well, it can clash with most other styles.

You can also use that for a Dampfbier which is a beer brewed with barley using a wheat yeast strain. Like David_42 said, there is a distinct flavor from the wheat yeast that is not good for many styles.

yeah, I assumed that being how flavorful the yeast is. guess I'll stick with Hef's and Dunkle's for for using the washed yeast up (being how I love hef's I doubt I'll have ANY problem using it up).

Same thing here....just finishing up a hefe, thinking of other uses for 3068.

Thoughts on a pumpkin beer with 3068? Banana, maybe not, but clove could be nice.

Latest posts

Back