Attenuation of Safale US-05

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matthewjscott

Reaction score
Ok... I just racked into a secondary fermentor for the first time to dry hop a double IPA after two weeks of primary fementation (VERY excited):ban:

The OG was 1.09 and I used Safale US-05. I am a little concerned with the fact that after two weeks, the gravity has only gone down to 1.022.

Is this odd and can I still fix it?

Thats at about 9% ABV, and the numbers seem to be about right to me, just checking quickly with beertools. At this point I wouldnt do anything but bottle or keg. Then drink of course. What were you expecting?

After all of the posts I have read about safale 05, I was expecting it to be a little lower by now

It's not that unusual. Depends on mash temps and grain bill if there were some unfermentables in there.

Unless I know for sure what my beer is doing I would measure gravity before transferring. You could still bring the gravity down in primary after two weeks and it may still drop a bit in secondary but I would be sure that it was done fermentation before transferring it.

I bottled this over the weekend. The FG remained at 1.022. It tasted a bit sweet, but I am sure that will change a bit with bottle conditioning

Due to the fact that I was brewing with extract also could have had an impact on the attenuation, but I think I should be ok with the way it will be when it gets done carbonating. If not, its not like I won't drink it with a smile on my face while I brew the next batch. :)

Back