Using gelatin for fining

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smorris

Reaction score
I know I have it somewhere but I can't find the directions. anyone know what the procedure to use Know gelation is. thought I would try it out on the pilsner I have going.

I have used gelatin for fining on my last 3 batches. The way that I did it was to mix 1 packet of gelatin with a 1/2 cup of water and heat it until the gelatin is fully disolved.

I then pour the gelatin mixture into my sanitized keg and rack the finnished beer on top. I then seal and shake the keg for a bit then carbinate as usual.

These last 3 brews with gelatin have been the clearest that I have produced to this point.

hope that helps!

lalenny said:
I have used gelatin for fining on my last 3 batches. The way that I did it was to mix 1 packet of gelatin with a 1/2 cup of water and heat it until the gelatin is fully disolved.

I then pour the gelatin mixture into my sanitized keg and rack the finnished beer on top. I then seal and shake the keg for a bit then carbinate as usual.

These last 3 brews with gelatin have been the clearest that I have produced to this point.

hope that helps!

I hope you have purged the headspace in your keg with CO2 before doing this! If not, think of all the oxygenation you are doing to your beer in the keg!

"I then pour the gelatin mixture into my sanitized keg and rack the finnished beer on top. I then seal and shake the keg for a bit then carbinate as usual."

Do you notice the beer getting cloudy when transported, or does the gelatin hold it to the bottom?

I bought a giant box of knox gelatin packages. I usually use two packs in a cup of water. Heat to 170 and stir to dissolved. Then I dump it in the fermenter and crash cool for a day or two.

I boiled some water, let it cool for a min or 2, then put in 1/2 packet of gelatin, stirred it until it dissolved, then poured it right into the carboy, within 3 to 4 days, my beer was perfectly clear

What if I put it in the fermenter when the beer is done, wait a few days, bottle and the cold crash the bottles. Then after a few days warm the beer back to 70 to carbonate?

If you use too much you may get off flavors. I usually find that 1/2 of a packet is more than enough

Was going to use this on an IPA that is currently dry-hopping (leaf). Should i cold crash then rack to another carboy with the gelatin, or add it right to the secondary?

I would add it right to secondary..
Actually, I dry hop add use gelatin in primary.

I bought a giant box of knox gelatin packages. I usually use two packs in a cup of water. Heat to 170 and stir to dissolved.

I boiled some water, let it cool for a min or 2, then put in 1/2 packet of gelatin, stirred it until it dissolved, then poured it right into the carboy

I believe the recommended amount for a 5 gallon batch of beer is about half a teaspoon (1.5 grams). Using too much can reduce the body of the beer. Isn't a packet about half an ounce (14 grams), which is way more than you need.

Interesting read, but they say nothing about bottling. Do I need to secondary or can I mix in primary? and cold crash the warm to carbonate or carbonate first then cold crash?

You really don't need to do anything special. I add gelatin to the secondary and rack the beer on top of it. The gelatin drops in a few days and when you bottle you leave it behind in the fermenter. Gelatin helps clear the beer at room temperature, but will not remove chill haze proteins unless added to the beer when it is cold.

Back