First Mead

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

imtrashed

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I made my first mead last night. Sweet Mead with 15 lbs honey with OG 1.100. Had a 2L yeast starter going for few days with 2 vials of White Labs Sweet Mead. Pitched last night at about 8:00 and this morning at 5:30 it's bubbling through the blow off tube nicely.

Do I have to stir this at all? If it's fermenting right along nicely, should I open up the lid and give it a stir each day, or just let it be?

Did you aerate it prior to yeast pitch? Did you add yeast nutrient? If so, I'd let it be.
Regards, GF.

Yes, well aerated and added yeast nutrient. It's bubbling away, but I just want to make sure it attenuates as much as potentially possible. Want it sweet, but don't want to leave it underattenuated and too sweet. I'll leave it be, unless someone might think there's a reason to open it up and give it a stir. Thanks.

UPDATE: I have not opened up my bucket to aerate or degas at all, but I have been rocking/swirling the bucket with lid on to stir things up and get some of the gas out. Bad move? Good move? Since it's been 6 days now, should I stop doing anything to it and just leave it? It's still slowly bubbling away. Thanks!

And I'll be monitoring the gravity over time, but typically/roughly how long do you let it sit in primary before racking to secondary? Should it ferment out completely? And then do you typically rack to a tertiary?

Back