What to brew with Amarillo and Centennial

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BetterSense

Reaction score
I just had a total brew-disaster. I was trying to make a big beer with a 15 pound grain bill but my BIAB exploded and I got horrible efficiency, so I didn't bother finishing the recipe. But I have 2.5 ounces of Amarillo and 2.5 ounces of Centennial left.

I've decided I can only BIAB with maybe 12 pounds of grain, and maybe 1.050 or so OG. Can anyone think of some recipes in that range that use Amarillo and/or Centennial? Maybe it's time to try an IPA; are those high gravity?

IPA's tend to be higher gravity than 1.050 according to the 2008 BJCP guidelines. However, that should stop you from making a tasty, hoppy pale ale!

I'm sure you can find some good pale ale recipes in the 'receipes' section, and just sub in those hops. (Great hops to have on hand BTW)

Something along the lines of:
#9 Pale, 2-row malt
#1 Carmel 40L
0.5 oz Centennial hops (60 min)
0.5 oz Amarillo hops (20 min)
0.5 oz Centennial hops (10 min)
0.5 oz Amarillo hops (10 min)
0.5 oz Centennial hops (2 min)
0.5 oz Amarillo hops (2 min)
US-05 Ale Yeast

If you want, you could dry hop with an oz. of each for 2 weeks, and get some great hop aroma on that...

Good luck!
--LexusChris

p.s. I've not tried BIAB myself, but could you double bag those large grain bills? Or try a stronger mesh bag?

I think efficiency is going to suck with my BIAB setup unless I get a bigger kettle. I did a 3-step infusion and the best sparge I can pull of and I still was only getting like 55%.

Actually holding the grain isn't the problem, the heavier grain pressed the bag against the bottom of the kettle where it melted through. I haven't had any problem with lighter grain bills with that happening.

Back