Trading beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The short answer is no. The long answer is no, but for god's sake if you decide to don't tell the internet about it, that damn thing doesn't know how to keep its mouth shut :).

I have moved many of friend for beers... I would say service for beers is a commonly accepted term of friendship. Now, I would not advertise on craig's list that I pay in beers... Only to " friends".

BrewMoreBeers said:
I have moved many of friend for beers... I would say service for beers is a commonly accepted term of friendship. Now, I would not advertise on craig's list that I pay in beers... Only to " friends".

You mean you celebrated a successful move with a pizza and beer party don't you?

Technically it is illegal, but in reality I don't think anyone really cares. It is like driving 66 mph on the freeway...it's illegal but no one gets busted. Try to find a case where someone has been fined/arrested for "bartering" beer. Doesn't happen!

and remember "legally" you can't barter or trade ANY alcohol for services without a license, homebrewed or otherwise. Which I have always found funny because one of the macro brews had a commercial a few years ago describing how much certain jobs "cost" such as helping someone move is a "twelve pack".

So is it illegal to buy a friend a case of beer for doing something for you? Wouldn't that mean every gift basket would be an illegal purchase if used to give to someone for doing something for you?

only if the gift basket contained alcohol. Also I would think it would have to be a "this for that" kind of transaction. Such as... if you construct a website for me than I will buy you a keg of beer.

So is it illegal to buy a friend a case of beer for doing something for you? Wouldn't that mean every gift basket would be an illegal purchase if used to give to someone for doing something for you?

The gift basket is just that- a gift, it's not payment for services rendered. Different tax laws apply.

only if the gift basket contained alcohol. Also I would think it would have to be a "this for that" kind of transaction. Such as... if you construct a website for me than I will buy you a keg of beer.

Many do contain alcohol. I thought the whole question was if a this for that tranaction was legal or not, cut my grass and I give you with beer, looking back many disagree.

The gift basket is just that- a gift, it's not payment for services rendered. Different tax laws apply.

But I was asking the question if purchased to pay back someone for services, regardless of the name "gift basket" it contains alcohol and is being used in place of money as payment. The question I guess is if you convert money into an object (with alcohol) and use as payment for a service is it legal.

as soon as alcohol gets a value it is illegal. Goes for any kind of trade
unless you have a licence to sell it

If you buy someone a beer it is probably illegal for them to pay you back

Legal..probably not but as long as you aren't going overboard you will never be fined/arrested. In fact I have yet to find a case of a homebrewer ever being fined/arrested for selling/bartering homebrew. Either it never happens (doubtful) or the authorities don't really care because it is such a small amount.

Back