IPA - still need to dry hop with a hop randall?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

toastermm

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I just made (yesterday) EdWort's all grain bee cave brewery ipa, here is the recipe.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f69/bee-cave-brewery-ipa-59907/

Everything went great, hit my gravity and it's bubbling away now. It calls for 1oz centennial to be dry hopped. Which is fine and dandy, BUT...

I plan on using a hop randall (inline hop infuser) when serving the beer. I plan on filling the hop randall with about 2-4 ounces of cascade or centennial or similar. Do I need to still dry hop? Does dry hopping have a noticeably different effect than the inline randall? I realize that the randall will not last as long, but this is for a party later, and I assume it will be finished within a few days after it is served.

Should I do both? Is it worth using the extra ounce of centennial?

Well, I know when Randall was originally used, it was used with the 120 minute IPA, and it was brewed as it normally is, which includes dry hopping.

So yes, dry hop.

A Randall is not necessarily a substitute for a dry hop. It's a means of forcing your kegged beer through a batch of fresh hops at the time of serving. It will alter the character of any beer served through it whether or not it's dry hopped at all.

If it were me, and it's not, i'd do the dry hop and try it before committing to using a Randall. You may find it already has enough hop character for you.

A Randall is not necessarily a substitute for a dry hop. It's a means of forcing your kegged beer through a batch of fresh hops at the time of serving. It will alter the character of any beer served through it whether or not it's dry hopped at all.

If it were me, and it's not, i'd do the dry hop and try it before committing to using a Randall. You may find it already has enough hop character for you.

Right on. I just may do that.

Back