Noob question about Soil and watering

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zman

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I bought a 3 way garden soil meter and tested the moisture level. Does any one else use one and what is an acceptable range of moisture if there is one. I am in the mid to high moisture. The soil does not feel wet at all and there are no puddles but it is pretty moist to the touch. Should I let go just about dry before watering again?

Thanks,
Zman

I have one and find it useless.

Hops have an average water need until they are top wired or being blasted by heat.

1 Inch of water per week is best until the plant shows sign of more water needed.

Let the ground dry before you water again and remember it is spring in Colorado. The cooler temp's and the rain on the way mean your watering should only be sporatic. Now come July when you are at 90 and no rain and night temp's of 65 you will need to get an inch of water on the new rhizomes to help them grow stay hydrated and extract the nutirents from you soil.

Good luck

Let the ground dry before you water again and remember it is spring in Colorado. The cooler temp's and the rain on the way mean your watering should only be sporatic. Now come July when you are at 90 and no rain and night temp's of 65 you will need to get an inch of water on the new rhizomes to help them grow stay hydrated and extract the nutirents from you soil.

Good luck

Thanks for the advice. I have them in Homer buckets at the moment and the soil gauge is indicating that the soil is pretty moist. I am thinking once it gets towards the other end of the meter I will water them again.

Thanks for the advice. I have them in Homer buckets at the moment and the soil gauge is indicating that the soil is pretty moist. I am thinking once it gets towards the other end of the meter I will water them again.

Well, if they are going to stay in those buckets for any longer than a couple weeks then you need to drill holes int he bottom if you haven't already done so.

Put 'em in some ground if you can. Test the pH and then test the amount of light over 8 hours being the best then take the probe out!

Growing is not a meter job. Sure there are moments of an objective measure of something (pH in spring moisture of bales at harvest)-- but more often it is a sensory experience: too dry, too yellow, too stinky, or too lumpy. You can do this without the meter!

Put 'em in some ground if you can. Test the pH and then test the amount of light over 8 hours being the best then take the probe out!

Growing is not a meter job. Sure there are moments of an objective measure of something (pH in spring moisture of bales at harvest)-- but more often it is a sensory experience: too dry, too yellow, too stinky, or too lumpy. You can do this without the meter!

I can but last year I think I over watered and then some. WE also had a crappy spring /summer last yr. The soil is kinda dry on top but the rest is still very moist. I have one popping out already. I just gotta keep on top of it. I have holes drilled on the bottoms and on the sides. Once I get the community garden ready I will be able to transplant them

All but one has busted out of the soil. the top 1/4 " is dry but the rest of the soil is still pretty moist. I may give them a lil shot tomorrow just to moisten the top a bit. Rain is predicted here through the weekend

If your hops are new, then a bit on the moist side will be good. If they are second year or older, try what I do: stick your finger in the soil all the way. If it is dry then they need water. If it is moist, let 'em be. This encourages them to grow deep roots. I give mine a thorough soaking when they dry out as needed, and I had a decent harvest on my first year hops last summer. I must be doing something right!

Back