Giving homebrew lessons

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

texasgeorge

Reaction score
I have a friend at work who is interested in learning how to homebrew. He's always been curious since I started brewing myself and talking about it. The interest has piqued after tasting the Pale Rye Ale I made and he wants to come over to my place and help/watch me brew it for him again. He has offered to buy the ingredients. :mug:

I want him to take away enough info to feel comfortable investing in his own homebrew setup but not so much info as to overwhelm him and scare him away from the hobby. He's pretty sharp and analytical, but there's a WHOLE LOT of stuff to tinker with in this hobby of ours.

Obviously cleaning and sanitation will be lesson #1.
All-Grain 101 will encompass proper mash temp and conversion process. I'll hold off on Water Chemistry and what the differences in temp rests mean for now.
We'll boil, I'll have him do all the hop additions explaining why you add hops at different intervals.
Cool, pitch (my starter prepared in advance), clean. Explain what happens over the next three weeks (fermentation, secondary clearing, etc.)
Invite him back over for bottling day.

Anything I should omit to avoid confusion? Anything I'm missing that's critical that I just take for granted with experience?

Wow, he's taking All Grain 101? I thought Extract 101 was a prerequisite! ;)

I'd explain that people new to home brewing generally start out using extracts, and then explain what portion of the all-grain procedure is replaced by extracts. This way, he'll know that there is an "easier" way for beginners should he decide to try home brewing on his own.

As a brew newbie (brewbie?) myself, I'm hoping to attend one of the local brewouts to watch the all-grainers.

To re-phrase your question, "What did we find to be the scarey parts for you to touch lightly on?"

I think had I had a mentor to go through with it one time, I would have dove right in to AG. But that is not my way. After one batch of partial mash from a kit, I read about it for a year. A newbie who has not studied up ought to be too ingorant to be scared. Just don't scare him. So, don't mention infections. Tell him that it is always OK beer, no matter what the screw up. Take him with you to the HBS to get stuff, new places can be intimidating. Both of you, RDWHAHB.

Any waiting time while brewing, go over some of the newbie questions on this site.

Have fun, welcome him for the rest of us.

I have always been a big fan of "let the learner come to me" philoshophy. Don't get too preachy and teachery. It is likely that this guy just wants to hang out, enjoy brewing, and pick up some pointers.

I often have brew parties. I simply brew and hang out. I only explain things when asked. I recommend this approach b/c then it just seems like a bunch of guys hanging out rather than a clinic. If someone wants to learn, they will ask.

In other words, the first thing you should teach him about brewing is this: "Relax, don't worry, have a homebrew."

:D

I think if I would have had a mentor, I would have started AG right off the bat also... That being said...

Can I suggest you do an extract and/or partial mash to start him off. You have to think back to all the equipment you needed to do AG and if you want/expect a noob to run out and buy all the stuff to do AG, then decide they don't want to do it, loose interest after a short time, or just decide it's not for them, that's a lot of money upfront they are going to take a soaking on because they will probably never get "top-dollar" when they sell it. I also think you'll loose him if you are doing one thing and explaining that he can do it another way. Just show him the way he can get started.

Basic brew kits can be had for ~$70... If you still have your basic stuff, think about taking to his place and doing it on his stove... I think people find an AG'ers stuff "intimidating" when they first see it and think "oh ship".

I have a friend that likes to help, but I can't convince him to get into the hobby no matter how hard I try. When I take the "big jump" into AG in about a month I think he'll be less interested in getting into the hobby. He just likes too help <shrugs> too each his own.

Many people (myself included) have started with Cooper kits and it exploded from there, but it's not for everyone. Start him "cheap" and easy(er) and he'll get hooked and the ball gets rolling from there...

Babbling finished...

Other than the initial cost, I would have gone AG to start if I had known more. Starting with extract is good however because it gets the brewer familiar with the basic procedures before adding in the extra steps and time of AG.

Let him do the brewing while you sit back swilling beer, he'll learn enough to do his own brew and pick up the rest as he tries to perfect subsequent batches. Meanwhile you get a fermenter full of beer for zero effort ;)

I'm teaching my brother-in-law to homebrew in a couple weeks. AG isn't going to be an option for him, at least for a while, but I'm still going to show him the process. I can't stand the idea of dropping all that coin on extract anymore. Figure I can explain the extract version of the process (and things like ice baths) without showing him exactly how to do it.

the_bird said:
I'm teaching my brother-in-law to homebrew in a couple weeks. AG isn't going to be an option for him, at least for a while, but I'm still going to show him the process. I can't stand the idea of dropping all that coin on extract anymore. Figure I can explain the extract version of the process (and things like ice baths) without showing him exactly how to do it.

Bingo!

The same guy came to my apartment while I just happened to be brewing a PM session before I went AG and I kinda pointed and said "This is extract, these are hops, those grains are soaking in hot water to make more sugars for the yeast to ferment later..." etc. He didn't stay long... just dropping off my putter I let him borrow :D It was no more than you'd find in a book titled "Learn to Make Beer in 5 minutes."

I think I can explain to him the "easy" way while showing him the "hard" way. And I think the "hard" way is pretty easy.... so I'm hoping that he sees the same thing and jumps right into AG if he decides to become a homebrewer too.

Thanks to everyone for your suggestions, keep 'em coming if you got 'em, and I'll let everyone know how it turns out!

I got started in the hobby back in November, and have only slowly been tweaking my advanced kit (LHBS @ $90) since then, all the while reading about and brewing beyond the initial kit to extracts (ingredients and recipes, etc.)

Then I went to a brew day over the weekend and watched/discussed the AG method. For me, more often than not, it was 'ah, ok, this I have read about, and now I see it being used'. While I appreciate the AG method, for me I want to slowly build up my equipment and experience by continuing to make a few more extract batches. What convinced me this was the way to go was that the brewer stated he could tell a difference in taste each time he improved his ingredients and technique, having started out with extracts and only going to AG when he felt ready to do so. Also, I was thinking and asking about $$$ the whole time, so that is something you might want to discuss as well:
-This is your basic equipment and cost, and how much extra you are going to spend to make AG.
-Also, mention the time element. Extract can take as little as 3 hours. The guys at the brew day said 6-8 for AG, from cleaning and setup to tear down and cleaning.

Good Luck!

I have a friend that got interested in brewing while I was still doing extract. He came over and watched me brew a 5 gallon batch. While the water was heating, we bottled the stout that was in my fermenter. I drew him a glass of the flat beer to try. He'd never had dark beer before, but fell in love with what we've come to call the " hoppy goodness". We brewed a 10 gallon batch together a month later. I switched to AG after that. He watched /helped me with the first 5 gal batch. We brewed 14 gallons together after that( 10 gal. stout, 4 gal. small beer, heck, it's still beer!). He's now in the process of building a brewstand. It is a good feeling to bring someone into the hobby and have them take off with it. We work together and our coworkers dread hearing us talk brewing, though they all want some of the beer.
Walk your friend through it without being too technical. Do the mash and explain that what happens is pure magic, don't mention enzymes or chains of atoms. When you reach the boil, you might mention that this is where you'd start if you were using extract, and brew from there. You might also explain that the extra hour plus that you spend on AG more than makes up for the additional cost of extract vs. AG. If you get him to invest in a carboy and airlock, you could do a 10 gal batch and let him take half of it home so that he can witness the wonder of fermentation firsthand on a day to day basis. I have a feeling that once he goes from heating the strike water to drinking the beer, he'll be hooked. Help him all you can. The world needs more brewers:tank:

I started out last fall with extract and was fairly pleased with the process but not necessarily the product. Being a biologist by training and a chemist by trade naturally I couldn't wait to dive into AG. My investment in AG equipment was probably less than $200.00, but now I make the best beer that I have ever tasted. I have a couple of brews under my belt now and cant wait for Saturday every week because I know that is brew day! My second AG batch was an American lager. Now I know that everyone just let out a collective snicker but believe it or not my wife only like crappy beer, so I made that batch especially for her. It was much more complicated than making "good" beer because of all of the rests involved. I hit most of my temps except the 158 c at the end. I later learned of decoction which should greatly simplify things if I ever have to make "rice" beer again.

I started with no mentor last fall because I like beer, and I had been making wine for a while so I already had most of the equipment. I did 4 extract batches with steeping grains before I took the plunge into AG last month. Through out the whole process, my father kept telling me that the only reason people brew beer is to get smashed for cheaper. Last weekend he finally had the opportunity to tast 3 of my batches. During each beer, he said "Hey, this is wonderful!" I tried to get him to brew a batch with me on Sunday, but he was too busy playing with his new grandson. I understand.

After my first AG batch, I had the opportunity to brew with a much more experience brewer, who was seeking to mentor me. We brewed an AG batch together on his equipment, and I learned a bunch. He is pretty old school, brewing with fly sparges, and working out of very old books. He makes very good brew. I was telling him about my batch cooler setup with the toilet strainer and my turkey fryer, and he was criticizing my set-up about how I couldn't get nearly the extraction, filteration, or temperature control. Then he tried one of my Cheesefood Cream Ales. Then I told him my mash efficiency and total brewing time. He then had lots of questions about my set-up.

I think that we both took a lot out of the brewing lesson. I got some great tips, and he has requested that we do it at my place with my equipment next time.

Yeah, as a "brewbie" I have to admit that while I'm eager to get more control over my beer and really make my -own- beers without extracts, when I look at the AG equipment and process I get a little worried. Sadly, the only person I know who homebrews is about a 6 hour drive north, so it'll be tough for me to find a mentor who can really help me pick out gear and so on.

Lucky for you, there's a crowd of them right here. Some of the people here may disagree from time to time on the proper way to do things, but we all have one thing in common. We make better beer than we can buy. We're all pretty much able to suit a beer to our own individual tastes. Who could want more than that? I'm still fairly ignorant, but I've gleaned enough good advice here that all grain brewing is no longer the big scary monster it once was. Everybody started somewhere,and we're all willing to help you along.

Whelk said:
Yeah, as a "brewbie" I have to admit that while I'm eager to get more control over my beer and really make my -own- beers without extracts, when I look at the AG equipment and process I get a little worried. Sadly, the only person I know who homebrews is about a 6 hour drive north, so it'll be tough for me to find a mentor who can really help me pick out gear and so on.

How far are you from the Berkshires? Three hours, maybe? I'm not the *most* experienced AG brewer out there, but you're welcome to come up some weekend and clean up for me. :D

being new to home brewing I have looked at all grain and even partial, would like to get into it but have no one around me that I know of for the training, as of know I will keep on with buying the kits reading books and drinking my kit beer and soaking up all the knowledge I can on advancing my setup and brews from you guys! thanks for all the knowledge.

if anyone is in my area I would sure like to have a brew day to see the process all the way through of all grain

Latest posts

Back