Two colors, one beer, one batch?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chosenwon

Reaction score
What the hell happened to my beer? I brewed a ten gallon batch of some pale ale, split into two better bottles, pitched at same temp, same yeast and I have one that is much darker than the other?

It was out of a keggle and the first better bottle probably got a good deal of junk in it from the transfer (ball valve) but what could explain the vast difference in color?

ANY imput and help is appreciated. :mug:

Fermentation can change color to a small amount. Is it possible that one of your starters took off better than the other or one yeast pack was more viable?

If its gunk, time will let that stuff settle out. Or you could re fine with gelatin or a filter.
If they both taste ok you could also blend them @ bottling

The difference in quite noticeable. I used nottingham dry ale yeast for each, they have been in the primaries 3 weeks and been fermenting at 60 degrees F.

Is there still a ton of sediment being kicked up? I'll bet when you get it into bottles or kegs and it clears up, it'll look identical.

Yeah, I don't know. It looks like there is not too much sediment. Maybe I will crash cool, taste, and if nothing is wrong just combine into kegs. Honestly the color difference just surprised the hell out of me considering that it is one batch of beer split into two fermentation vessels.

I see that quite a bit.. I do exclusively 10 gallon batches and the color in primary is often quite different.. I have just always assumed it was a difference in the amount of hops and trub that makes it into each fermenter.. After secondary they are always indistinguishable in color profile..

Latest posts

Back