NHL free agency day - July 1st

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ytsejam

Reaction score
Who's on your wish list?

I wanted the Hawks to re-sign Havlat, but it seems talks are breaking down.
TSN reports Hawks and Hossa nearing a deal.
He's probably an upgrade over Havlat, but it will take me a while to warm up to him.

I would also like the Hawks to sign Colton Orr.
It's been awhile since the Hawks had a legit heavyweight.

edit: Damn! Orr to Leafs. 4 years, $4 million.

I can't follow free agency this year seeing how the Flyers got Pronger on Friday. But Chicago over spent on Hossa but he is just what that team needed.

Ty Conklin to Blues.

Roloson to Islanders.

Kopecky to Chicago?
Brashear to Rangers?

Wings can't afford to spend this time. Hossa was never really an option for them and they knew that when they signed him last season. That seems like a serious sht-load of money for Hossa, but he can really score and get back too. Wait? Who did the hawks get rid of??

Conklin going to the blues? He could be a good fit there.

Is Brashear still playing??

Wings can't afford to spend this time. Hossa was never really an option for them and they knew that when they signed him last season. That seems like a serious sht-load of money for Hossa, but he can really score and get back too. Wait? Who did the hawks get rid of??

Conklin going to the blues? He could be a good fit there.

Is Brashear still playing??

Looks like Havlat.
Edmonton interested in Huet. Makes sense with Roloson gone.

Wow, even so, Chicago is looking pretty scary! Oh, I can't wait to see a Detroit/Chicago game now!

Yeah, I've always loved the rivalry. One of the best in sports.
For too long, Chicago wasn't even worthy of being considered a rival by Detroit.
I'd like to see the Hawks - Blues rivalry get back to where it was too.

Rangers lost Gomez ahead of the free-agencey..He went to the canadiens..I'm a Ranger fan and I thought Gomez was great..He was one of the only players that could carry the puck on the team..Unfortunately it didn't work out in NY..He's a great player though and I think that was a great pickup for the canadiens.

With Hoss gone to the Hawks, I wonder if the Wings will re-sign Samuelsson. He already has a 'For Sale" sign on his front yard though.

How do you Wings fans feel about the Hossa thing?
Your thoughts on Kopecky would be appreciated too. The only thing I remember about him is him hurting his shoulder in a fight against Jim Vandermeer a while back.
I just read through the whole damn Hossa thread on the Wings forum and there are some PISSED OFF Wings fans.
But there also seem to be some pretty smart and reasonable fans too.

Also, I've said it before in another hockey thread, but the Wings fans here are the reason why I will say "Detroit" and "Red Wings" instead of "Dicktroit", "Detoilet", "Red Wangs", "That f***ing s**thole", etc.
You guys are all pretty cool and fine examples of hockey fans. (and brewers too!)
I raise my glass to you and the hopefully intensified rivalry in upcoming years.
I'm sure we'll see some great Hawks/Wings games!

edit: I don't think it was a fight but a hit by Vandermeer. Kopecky would be totally stupid or insane to fight that guy, could be wrong though, Rick Nash fought him after all (until Vandy ripped his visor off, then he said "I'm done, I'm done!" to the linesmen)

I've heard some callers on the radio complaining about Hossa and I just don't get it. He passed up tons of money to come to Detroit for a good shot at the cup. Now he takes a long term, big money contract to go to young, talented team that made it to the conference finals. Sounds like a no-brainer considering the Wings couldn't give him much because of the cap. I wish him great success until the Wings and Hawks meet in the playoffs again!
Kopecky's a good player with lots of potential, but I think his spot can be filled by Abdelkader or Leino no problem.

Hossa would have been nice to have around, but we got him from Pittsburgh knowing that the odds of keeping him were darn near impossible. Pittsburgh got him at trade deadline as a hired gun, same thing. He wants to be on a winning team to win a cup, not be on a team to help it win. If you know what I mean. Frankly, even though I was glad to have gotten him from Pittsburgh, I think that the way he left them to come to Detroit was kind of *****ey. They were in finals and he jumped ship.

Anyway, his loss was not unexpected, and he tried to win that way and now I think he will settle down and try to win on a team that he can actually be a long-term part of. They should be contenders for at least several years.

Kopecky's choice is to go out and create his own destiny. I think that he is a very good player and on a team that is not as stacked as Detroit, he will show himself very well. But both losses for Detroit opens up some ice time for some younger players who look to be very good as well. Leino, Helm, Ericksson...

EDIT: I forgot Abdelkader! He also looks to show much promise!

I'm excited again to have a team that is not expected to win the cup! Each year it seems Wings fans cry their eyes if the Wings don't win every game, or win the cup. Get over yourselves! The Wings lost this year simply because they didn't win one of the first two game in Pittsburgh. If they have fought harder to win one of those, they likely would have have the Pens running scared. Instead, Pittsburgh realized they had a chance and fought back hard, just like a champion needs to do to win it all.

I'm very happy so far with the way things have turned out for the Wings. They still have a core group, and some of the veterans will be retiring and hopefully this will be the first year in a long time where the young players will have a good chance of getting tons of ice and learning the NHL game.

It's about as close to rebuilding as you can do in Hockeytown!

Back