bottling problems

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

txtaquito

Reaction score
Ever since I have bottling (started two batches ago), I have been having problems with the flip-top bottles. I get lots of flat bottles. Some are carbonated good while others are flat. All the rubber lid stoppers are new and appear to seal good. I have tried capping a few 12oz bottles and those are all good and carbonated. Its this a common issue with the flip-top bottles? it seems about 35-40% of my flip-tops will go flat before I get to enjoy......

Thanks,
TxT

I got some 10+ year old grolsch flip top bottles from my father-in-law who had them sitting in his garage attic for 10 years. I changed the rubber grommets and haven't had any issues with them. You may need to adjust the swing-arm mechanism so the cap sits tighter, or get thicker grommets. Or you could send em my way in exchange for some regular bottles.

I think you either have a problem with the rubber lid or as Pizzaman said check the wire on your bottles. We use a good few grolsch and never have any problems.
When you seal the bottle it should take a bit to flip it over. maybe some one used a tool of some kind to open the bottles you are using and damaged the wire.
In any case you should not be getting flat beer when the same beer in capped bottles is not flat

I don't typically have problems with them either, but I try to be sure that the lid is on nice and centered before snapping down the bail. If it's canted to one side or another it may have a tougher time sealing.

I use a little keglube on my swing top grommets every gouple of batches, to help keep them in good shape.

If you get a flat bottle, set it aside, and replace the grommet on it.

hmmm....and yet another few flat brews in the swing-top bottles and to add to that the flat brew now has a "fart" odor to it. Is that a definate sign of leakage? CO2 getting out and air getting in? I know I can re-carb with cooper's but the CO2 will just get out again. Transferring to 12oz with crown is risking oxidation. Man, I only got to enjoy a 6-pack of this batch. Is she a-gonner?

TxT

I have no clue, I just wanna know what everybody else thinks, so Ill bump this back up.

I have .001% failures with swingtops..

I'd suggest flipping the grommet. It's worth a try.

I've had some problems specifically with the new smooth EZ Cap bottles. I ended up adding some sugar after about 10 weeks and no carb and as anyone who has ever done that will attest, it will cause instant foaming. I re-sealed fast and my problem was immediately apparent. Gas and small bubbles were getting past the grommet.

Back