Is bottle carbing possible after cold crash?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CideyMan

Reaction score
Is bottle carbing possible after a 24hr cold crash?

Ideally I want to cold crash, bottle carb then pasteurize

What is everyone's experience

I do a 5-7 day cold crash @ 35-36 *F, bottle cold, and mine still bottle carb just fine. Plenty of yeast remains for the task.

I've done it after cold crashing batches with S-04 and Nottingham for months. Of course, you need to bring the temp back up to say 68 again for the yeast to get active, but you knew that.

Sure... eventually all bottles will carb up, some sooner than others depending on the beer and yeast. I usually dose with added yeast for big IPBA's and all big Belgians, not so much for Wit's, APA's and others...

Sure... eventually all bottles will carb up, some sooner than others depending on the beer and yeast. I usually dose with added yeast for big IPBA's and all big Belgians, not so much for Wit's, APA's and others...

I had a similar question in another thread but didn't get any response - I have also cold-crashed and racked, and then tried reviving a small sample (with apple juice and sugar) to see if there is any life left in it, and didn't get any response after a couple of days. So I am not confident there is enough yeast left to bottle carb. If want to add some yeast like you said, just to be sure (I don't want a ton of bottles of flat cider really...) how would you do it? I was thinking make a fresh starter and chuck it in the primary a day before bottling (with added sugar in the bottle for carbing), how would that work out?

I had a similar question in another thread but didn't get any response - I have also cold-crashed and racked, and then tried reviving a small sample (with apple juice and sugar) to see if there is any life left in it, and didn't get any response after a couple of days. So I am not confident there is enough yeast left to bottle carb. If want to add some yeast like you said, just to be sure (I don't want a ton of bottles of flat cider really...) how would you do it? I was thinking make a fresh starter and chuck it in the primary a day before bottling (with added sugar in the bottle for carbing), how would that work out?

If you do need to add yeast for carbing purposes, a very small amount is all that's required. About 1/5th of an 11g dry ale yeast packet added at bottling will do the trick

If you do need to add yeast for carbing purposes, a very small amount is all that's required. About 1/5th of an 11g dry ale yeast packet added at bottling will do the trick

Oh, really, didn't really realise that. I mean I figured any old yeast would probably do as it's there just to carbonate, but thought I would need to sort of revive the whole batch first with a larger amount of yeast.

Actually, I am thinking I am just being overcautious and in fact the cider WOULD carbonate up after a few weeks. Maybe I should split the batch and try both approaches just to see what works out.

Waiting "a couple of days" after cold crashing and warming up is likley not near enough.

I cold crashed at 1.005 for 1 week. Bottled, and I had my plastic bottle carbing up after just 2 days.

I would say it depends on the yeast you used. The whitelabs yeast does not make a very dense yeast cake, and leaves some in suspension.

Waiting "a couple of days" after cold crashing and warming up is likley not near enough.

Ah, gotcha now. Never really had that situation before so wasn't sure what to expect. My guy says he can't guarantee there'll be enough yeast for carbing, so will just have to split the batch and try both with and without added yeast. All part of the fun.

If you are back sweeting prior to bottling...the theory of not enough yeast will not ring true. Unless you add a yeast killer they will reproduce and carbonate. It may take a few days to accomplish this...that is why you need to use some of the plastic soda bottles (not water bottles) as a reference of when carb levels are getting close. Then you will know when to pasteurize. Cooling yeast will not kill it...it will just go dorment...or slow down....heating over 190 degrees will kill it.

Thanks all, I bottled them up! 6 without back sweetening and a plastics bottle for carb indication and 18 with back sweetening and a plastic bottle for carb indication.

Once carbed, I'll post results and duration.

Cheers!

Just to forewarn you...these babies can go from not enough carb...to a gusher in quite often less than a days time. When you feel the bottle getting slghtly firm....put one of your glass bottles in the fridge for a couple hours....then pour it in a glass to see if you are okay with the level of carb you have achieved....if you feel you are even close...go ahead and pasteurize...better safe than sorry. There is no coming back from a gusher..! Plus it is my belief that the yeasties go into overdrive as you put them in that hot water...and produce co2 shortly before their demise...good luck and let us know how it goes!

Back