4 picnic taps or 2 perlicks?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Justdrumin

Reaction score
So I started my keezer build with the SWMBO's permission. I bought my chest freezer and four ball locks...then the complaining started. Sooooooooo...my plans for a 4 tap perlick system was shot down at about 4-5 bills. So I am now making a tough decision. She has said that we have a budget that will allow me 4 picnic taps or 2 perlicks, maybe even a dual body regulator. If you were in my predicament...what would your choice be? I'm really leaning toward the perlicks. I will eventually be upgrading to 6 taps which is the max for my keezer.

How many kegs, and how much do you brew. You can start with a combination and switch out to faucets as time goes by. I intend to do one at a time. Right now I can fit 3 kegs in the bottom of my spare fridge and they have picnic taps. I have to decide whether I am going to make a keezer or add some taps to the fridge.

get the two perlick's, you can always leave a picnic or two on the inside and add more perlick's later when you get the funds

This is exactly what I was thinking. I have a chest freezer that will hold a total of six ball locks. I have four at the moment, but I can't have four perlicks. So I'm thinking two perlicks will do for now. I may get a manifold for four and with two picnic taps. Well see what the SWMBO says. I suppose it'll do for now. I def don't brew as often as I'd like. I'll have to brew more now to keep all four kegs full though :drunk:

So I've settled on getting a two tap system from kegconnection with the perlick 525ss upgrade on both from recommendations on everything I have read about the cheap chrome ones on here being a waste of time. This will also come with a dual manifold. I am also going to opt for 10' lines, which seems to be the right length from what I've read.

Next I just found a great deal on homebrew finds for a taprite dual body for $97 shipped. Then I'm going to buy a line cleaning brush ( just for something cheap to put it over $100 but reccomendations for something better would be appreciated) to put it over $100 and use a $10 off coupon code making the brush .88 cents. Not bad!

I wanted to add a single picnic tap with a gas line that way I can force carb with the secondary regulator and serve when not force carbing. My question is...if I'm serving and want to force carb a keg am I able to just disconnect the gas side from the serving keg to force carb another without it bein a pita? I'm a total noob with kegging as this will be my first setup. Thanks a ton! I hopefully ill be able to put the order in for this stuff soon!

I would get a 4-outlet manifold and save the money on a dual regulator at first. You can then run 4 lines at a time (same psi) or turn them on and off as needed.

I would get a 4-outlet manifold and save the money on a dual regulator at first. You can then run 4 lines at a time (same psi) or turn them on and off as needed.

I was also considering this option, but I wanted to be able to force carb and serve at the same time. Unless this is achievable without a dual body and i dont know it.

Edit: Would you recommend buying a 6 way manifold since I do plan on having six eventually?

You can force carb and serve at same pressure... Forcing at a higher pressure only gets you on tap a few days sooner, once you have 4 on tap there won't be the rush to do so, trust me. 6-way would be good if that's your eventual plan.

Buy the biggest manifold you can and think you will need. Forego the dual regulator for now. Unless I am missing something, that seems like the best basic but expandable way to go.

That's what I'll do then. I was thinking the dual body regulator at first, but thanks everyone. I'll be sticking with a regular dual gauge and buying a 6 way manifold. That's the max amount of ball locks my keezer will hold, so that's what I'll go with. Along with 2 perlick 525ss taps and hopefully two picnic taps as well. Any reason I can't drill small "pilot" holes where the future perlicks will go so I don't have to keep opening the lid for the picnic taps?

Pilot holes will work...........Put a piece of tape over the inside after drilling.

Edit:..........You're wanting to hang the "picnics" out of the "pilot holes"?

Edit:..........You're wanting to hang the "picnics" out of the "pilot holes"?

Yes, this. I was thinking maybe I could do that so I don't have to keep opening the lid. I'll drill pilot holes where there will be more perlicks in the future and feed the picnic taps through it. I'll pull a short amount out to serve and push the line back in the hole after so the lines stay cool. Or maybe I'll just find a grommet that will work and leave the picnic in place so it stays sealed. Do you see an issue with that?

Latest posts

Back