Funny things you've overheard about beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've read all 2800+ posts but don't recall if this one was brought up

several members of our brew club tasting any number of homebrews: "smells like cat piss... Simcoe"

doesn't smell like it to me, but it comes up every time someone uses Simcoe

beaksnbeer said:
I prefer Morehead:mug:

Agnes?

image-2980119261.jpg

I've read all 2800+ posts but don't recall if this one was brought up

several members of our brew club tasting any number of homebrews: "smells like cat piss... Simcoe"

doesn't smell like it to me, but it comes up every time someone uses Simcoe

Yeah its pretty common. I get that a lot from simcoe.

Caught the tail end of some wanna be beer snob's conversation yesterday, " ... and they add more sugar during fermentation to lower the alcohol content."

Caught the tail end of some wanna be beer snob's conversation yesterday, " ... and they add more sugar during fermentation to lower the alcohol content."

Well duh, you have to add more food for the yeast so they just get full and stop producing alcohol. Once they stop producing, well the alcohol that was already in there just slowly disappears. Haha did you tell them that they better brush up on some books before they brew next haha?

You mean like that Sumatran coffee where the beans are fed to cats,& they retreive it later to make coffee with?:drunk:

Chong: "it's mostly Maui Waui man, but it's got some Labrador in it. My dog ate my stash. I had it on the table and the little mofu ate it. Then I had to follow him around with a little baggie for three days, before I got it back. Really blew the dog's mind. I think it's even better than before"

In a pub once, I had a waitress carefully explain to me that a hefeweizen had hints of banana because "they add banana juice to it during fermentation." {facePalm}

Gee,i hope yer not busy for a month?!! :D Still have that movie. And the Big Bamboo album with the rolling paper. Banana juice? Y'all,I really have to wonder where this special brand of stoopid comes from?...:drunk: I mean there's stupid...then there's stoopid...

Speaking of banana juice I had a buddy that lived in Germany for a little while and he swore that he use to drink half banana juice and half franziskaner and swore that's how everyone drank it like that.

Idk man...that's a new one to me. I love Franziskaner. Midwest's PM Berlin Wheat kit turns out tasting like a cross between Franziskaner & Paulaner Hefe to my taste buds. Amazingly good wheat beer for the cheap price & simple ingredients. You oughta try it if you like either of the two wheats mentioned...:mug:

unionrdr said:
Idk man...that's a new one to me. I love Franziskaner. Midwest's PM Berlin Wheat kit turns out tasting like a cross between Franziskaner & Paulaner Hefe to my taste buds. Amazingly good wheat beer for the cheap price & simple ingredients. You oughta try it if you like either of the two wheats mentioned...:mug:

Yeah I've had franziskaner and paulaner and enjoy both of them. That's why I couldn't figure out why someone would cut it with banana juice.

I've had it that way in Italy and it is quite tasty. Really any good wheat beer and banana juice is great. 1/2 and 1/2 is a little much for my taste, but 1/4 to 3/4 is great.

reed1911 said:
I've had it that way in Italy and it is quite tasty. Really any good wheat beer and banana juice is great. 1/2 and 1/2 is a little much for my taste, but 1/4 to 3/4 is great.

I'm still stuck on the ... Head part of this thread, and the banana juice thing keeps putting me over the top.

I lived in Germany for two years and the local beer house would do that at lunch. It was more 1/4 banana juice to 3/4 Paulener.

Just posted this on another thread, but is kinda appropriate here too. Visiting swmbo's relatives in Denver last week, never met 'em before. Guy in his 20s says "Let's go hit Breckenridge Brewery after dinner." Of course I said "Sure!" With dinner, I pour him one of my 12oz Saisons (typical 4.5% ABV). After dinner, he leaves with his mom and step-dad. I tell swmbo "So I guess that's a no on the brewery?" She says "He got drunk off your beer." I'm not sure what to think about this one. Funny though. Still wanna hit Breckenridge. Maybe next trip.

Keith66 said:
Just posted this on another thread, but is kinda appropriate here too. Visiting swmbo's relatives in Denver last week, never met 'em before. Guy in his 20s says "Let's go hit Breckenridge Brewery after dinner." Of course I said "Sure!" With dinner, I pour him one of my 12oz Saisons (typical 4.5% ABV). After dinner, he leaves with his mom and step-dad. I tell swmbo "So I guess that's a no on the brewery?" She says "He got drunk off your beer." I'm not sure what to think about this one. Funny though. Still wanna hit Breckenridge. Maybe next trip.

Puss

Had a good one during NHC... Not funny for someone's ignorance or anything like that, but a funny and actually meaningful suggestion.

So SWMBO and I had run down the street for lunch one day, and hit a little pub. We were sitting at the bar, talking to the bartender. And the conversation came around pretty quickly to what brought us into town, and when she heard about the fact that I was a brewer, she asked if my wife brewed too. We explained that she does not, but she does contribute ideas for things she'd like me to brew - we even keep a running "wish list" on the kegerator of her ideas. The bar tender looked up at us and said "cool, like a honey-brew list?"

The name has stuck.

lol, I think some people " think " theyre drunk when they drink beers that look dark or have more flavor than bmc. :fro:

Patron: "...do you have any good ipas?"
Bartender: (excited) "best one around! Fresh Ghandi-bot on tap"
Patton: "hmm, how about any ales instead? "

Doh

Always getting it from the brewery, try to keep some cans in stock and I still get excited when I see it on tap at restaurants.... sacrilegious :mad:

Visiting my brother (who no longer drinks), he was curious about my home brewing. He asked, "do you make stuff as potent as the Bavarian beer I drank in Germany when I was in the Army?" I told him that, unless he was drinking doppelbocks, the alcohol content of most Bavarian beers isn't much different from that of Bud, Coors, etc. Those German brews he drank had more body than BMC, which likely gave him the impression they were stronger.

I was at The Common Table in Dallas (well known for their craft beer selection) for brunch on Sunday and a table of obvious frat dudes (sleeveless neon shirts, backwards ball caps, etc.) sit down over by our table. They start off trying to order Bud/Miller/Coors, and with no luck they try to order Blue Moon, with the same results. Then they asked the waitress why they didn't serve lite domestics and without skipping a beat she said, "We don't sereve bad beer." She did recommend Avery White Rascal as an alternative to Blue Moon but they ended up getting mimosas.

She definitely got a nice tip from me.

I was at The Common Table in Dallas (well known for their craft beer selection) for brunch on Sunday and a table of obvious frat dudes (sleeveless neon shirts, backwards ball caps, etc.) sit down over by our table. They start off trying to order Bud/Miller/Coors, and with no luck they try to order Blue Moon, with the same results. Then they asked the waitress why they didn't serve lite domestics and without skipping a beat she said, "We don't sereve bad beer." She did recommend Avery White Rascal as an alternative to Blue Moon but they ended up getting mimosas.

She definitely got a nice tip from me.

See, this is the kind of stuff that bothers me. I love craft beer as much as the next guy, maybe even more than most. But when I encounter servers and bartenders who look down their noses at people just because they happen to like light American lagers is bad for craft beer. It gives a horrible impression of snobbery to people who are uninitiated in the craft beer movement.

Agreed forst. "Most of our customers just dont like them" would have been a perfectly acceptable answer.

Unless of course she was just teasing them (and they knew it). I saw a guy order a Bushmills at a bar once and the tender made an exaggerated gasp "thats PROTESTANT whisky!" he said. "Yeah actually we ran out and dont have a delivery for a couple days, can I get you Jameson's instead? For my money I think its better anyway"

In all fairness, I probably would have chuckled had I been there to hear the waitress say it to the group, and there have been times when I have been known to judge such a group.

But there are times when, for me, an ice cold Rolling Rock or PBR hits the spot just right. I have every intention of brewing lighter lagers when I have the ability to control fermentation temps, but I will also be pursuing some maltier and higher ABV lagers as well.

In other words, I hope I didn't come off sounding like a dick before...

See, this is the kind of stuff that bothers me. I love craft beer as much as the next guy, maybe even more than most. But when I encounter servers and bartenders who look down their noses at people just because they happen to like light American lagers is bad for craft beer. It gives a horrible impression of snobbery to people who are uninitiated in the craft beer movement.

I have no problem with her giving that answer to a group of frat bros just looking to "crush" some beers. If she gave that answer to somebody who was actually trying to learn about craft beers and enjoy them well that's a different story. If they were interested in all about craft beers they would've taken the waitress's suggestion of White Rascal.

there will always be two sides to a fence. I do agree however that people in the service industry shouldn't look down on people because of what they drink. Regardless, theres always going to be those jerks that pride themselves on drinking for status among beer drinkers and those who truly enjoy a beer culture.

That said those people that go to a bar and are upset because there's no 12% beer that has cocoa nibs, rose petals, saffron, ginger orange peel, elks blood, ostrich piss or 300 IBUS piss me off more than the guys ordering bud light:pipe:

thesmithsera said:
there will always be two sides to a fence. I do agree however that people in the service industry shouldn't look down on people because of what they drink. Regardless, theres always going to be those jerks that pride themselves on drinking for status among beer drinkers and those who truly enjoy a beer culture.

That said those people that go to a bar and are upset because there's no 12% beer that has cocoa nibs, rose petals, saffron, ginger orange peel, elks blood, ostrich piss or 300 IBUS piss me off more than the guys ordering bud light:pipe:

I've been known to leave a bar if the selection is poor and I'm not in the mood for domestic macros. I've also been known to stay at a dive until closing drinking PBR.

I've been known to leave a bar if the selection is poor and I'm not in the mood for domestic macros. I've also been known to stay at a dive until closing drinking PBR.

Well i wasn't implying what type you were. you definitely gave credence to my two sides to a fence metaphor though :ban: you complex human you

i'm more poking fun at the drinkers that need to have a beer that they don't even like to prove how hardcore they are in their drinks

Back