High fermentation temps

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bds3

Reaction score
I don't really consider myself a beginner (I am compared to some of you guys), but I thought this was just the best place to post this.

I just brewed a ginger beer (https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f76/ginger-ale-3rd-place-2009-hbt-bjcp-comp-141080/). I put it in my ~58-60 deg basement for fermentation as I do all my beers, and when I checked on it today (24 hours), it was bubbling away, at 77 degrees! That's where I keep all my brews for primary and they usually cook along at 65 degrees max. This wasn't a high-OG brew, and there's barely even any krausen (let alone the need for a blow-off), but I was shocked by how hot it got.

I wrapped her in a wet towel and turned a fan on, but I've never seen something like this. Could it be from the relatively high proportion of honey? I've never used that much before; does it ferment relatively clean (by that I mean little to no krausen) and warm?

I know I'm gonna have some off flavors with this bad boy; I don't really care since there's lemon and a ton of ginger, but I thought it was interesting enough for me to share.

One packet of US-05, to preemptively answer the question.

What was your ambient air temp when you got that reading? What type of thermometer was used? The stick-on kind have a reputation for inaccuracy.

I've seen as much as 7*F difference (and heard of 10*F) in air vs. side of bucket, but it sounds like you may have set a record!

A 17* temperature difference?!? That's crazy. My basement also runs 58-60* and I usually get a 5-6* dif with Cali ale yeast... What temperature did you chill your wort to? Maybe you pitched while it was still in the high 60's?

Back