Celebration Clone High FG

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Johnnyboy1012

Reaction score
I brewed a SN Celebration Ale Clone 13 days ago with WLP 001. My recipe was:
13.5# 2-row
1.5# Crystal 60
I boosted up the recipe up a bit because I wanted to brew a 5.5 gallon batch to end with 5 gallons of beer. The original recipe in BYO calls for 12.5# of 2-row and 15oz of crystal 60. Beersmith gave me 7 SRM while the recipe is supposed to be closer to 11-12. So I increased the ratio to 10% crystal 60 which gave me an SRM of 11.

I mashed at 157 like it says to do in BYO which is high but I also listened to the CYBI on the BrewingNetwork where they attempted to clone this beer. They interviewed the owner of SN and he gave the same recipe as in BYO, except he said to start the fermentation at 62 and let it rise to 68 over the course of fermentation, which I did. I boosted up the recipe up a bit because I wanted to brew a 5.5 gallon batch to end with 5 gallons of beer. The original recipe in BYO calls for 12.5# of 2-row and 15oz of crystal 60. Beersmith gave me 7 SRM while the recipe is supposed to be closer to 11-12. So I increased the ratio to 10% crystal 60 which gave me an SRM of 11. Listening to the recipe the was given on CYBI, the owner said to use about 11-12% Crystal 60. I used 10% and still ended up with a higher FG. Today (13 days later) I racked to a keg on top of dry hops and when I checked the FG it was at 1.028. The sample tasted really really good so I am not too concerned but the FG should be closer to 1.018-1.016. I had a 1.5L starter on a stir plate at 1.040 that I let go 24 hours then put it in the fridge and decanted the morning of brewday.

This is only 57% attenuation with WLP 001, which is a great attenuator. Could this poor attenuation be caused by the cool fermentation temp? Doing my own research on the matter I've seen on here that people have fermented with 001 at 62 and not have a problem. The beer reached 68 degrees at the height of fermentation and then the temp decreased slightly to 66 once the bulk of fermentation was over. I'm not a noob to the game and am sure this is due to the high mash temp. I've never mashed this high before so from now on I guess I should know what to expect. I'm just confused on to how SN gets it to 1.016 because they mash at the same temp.

The beer is in a keg but not in the fridge yet. Should I leave it out incase the yeast are still working? Anyone else have this problem? Suggestions? Thanks guys.

JH

Hi. Just a quick thought.. Are you positive that the wort is not getting cold at night? Even one night of cold after the main ferment might have stalled the yeast. Winter has my fermenter a lot cooler than the summer. I have since install led a dual channel temp controller that operates a carboy heat wrap. A beer I recently did has that happen. I ended up repitching and getting scoring 6 points less on the fg. Is your certain the temps are In check, you are probably right about the high mash in combination with 1.5 lbs of caramel 60. Also note that I am a noob, and I am totally wrong. Haha

Back