My "Man Cave" adult beverage dispenser

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Couple of more pictures and an update:

Clear coating came out better than I thought it would - Just need some touch-up around the edges and two spots on top. I learned that it's best to pour too much, than try and spread it out using a foam brush. Just ordered a CO2 regulator for the new kegerator - if it's here by Christmas, great,,, If not old faithful will be moved ---- I'll mount the lid this coming weekend and take some pictures of the finished appliance. Have a half full Pumpkin Ale, almost full Hefeweisen and a full corny of Red Ale (waiting) for Christmas.

Cheers! :mug:

DSC_1476.jpg

DSC_1481.jpg

DSC_1482.jpg

DSC_1483.jpg

You could watch the bubbles popping right in front of your eyes. I did blow on it some - not much, and I'm not so certain it was needed..... No torch used

Final pictures Saturday/Sunday

Cheers! :mug:

Lid mounted Friday -----

Took this picture with my phone - think I am going to do "something" with the 2 end-zones on the bottom "field" ---

Stay tuned

:mug:

Lid.jpg

Nice work man. I definitely don't have that kind of patience. Just slapped a couple coats of chalkboard paint on mine.

That's a beauty! Now if it only shook a little bit you could add those little plastic moving football players from the 1970's TUDOR ELECTRONIC FOOTBALL game, the scale would finally be about right. The football field in the original game was too small compared to the men. I can't post a picture yet, but maybe people remember the game.

LabRatBrewer said:
That's a beauty! Now if it only shook a little bit you could add those little plastic moving football players from the 1970's TUDOR ELECTRONIC FOOTBALL game, the scale would finally be about right. The football field in the original game was too small compared to the men. I can't post a picture yet, but maybe people remember the game.

would you be talking about this bad boy?

ForumRunner_20111217_124348.jpg

Here's what I did with the vinyl I didn't end up using ---- this is the back side. It's not like I was going to throw them in the trash or anything!

I'll have all pictures posted tonight --- just painted handle and it's drying....

Cheers !

:mug:

back.jpg

I immediately thought of the old vibrating football game of my youth. However, I live in a football town (college) and in one of the shops I saw a set of larger plastic football players, molded in appropriate team colors. They would probably be about the right scale for your lid, and I'll bet you could find Cowboys and Dolphins themes. If I walk by that store again, I'll try to get the manufacturer's name.

EDIT: Actually, I googled it because it was bugging me: the company is called "Kaske Kids." They make several college teams, and a few pro teams, and then some generic colors. They have Dallas, but not Miami. The Dallas set comes with... wait for it... the Stealers. Here's a link so you can see what I'm talking about:

Kaskey Kids Kaskeykids Black/Gold Vs Blue/White Football Guys: Compare Prices, View Price History and Read Reviews at Nextag

Isn't it funny on this site how some guy's obsession can become our own? I just spent 20 minutes looking for Miami Dolphin action figures.

Life happens.........

Get the CO2 bottle mounted, chain it up for safety, install a basket for mugs and small stuff, and it doesn't cool........

Compressor fired right up, sounds like it's running just fine, but none of the coolant lines get cold.

It could always be worse..........

Stay tuned and have a Merry Christmas everyone!

Update: Having a hard time trying to locate a compressor --- I know..... should have plugged it in before all the money was spent, but you know about water under the bridge! I have an A/C person coming out on the 14th to have a look --- Of course we are hoping it's just out of freon, but I wanted to have a compressor here just in case... Got any ideas where I can find one?

DSC_1508.jpg

I know the post about you doing the clear coat stuff was a while back but I wanted to know from someone who had used that stuff, do you have to mask out edge of the keezer lid or do you let it drip??? I was trying to see how you managed that in the photos but could not make it out.

Nice job of the build

Clem

I know the post about you doing the clear coat stuff was a while back but I wanted to know from someone who had used that stuff, do you have to mask out edge of the keezer lid or do you let it drip??? I was trying to see how you managed that in the photos but could not make it out.

Nice job of the build

Clem

i haven't done it myself, but Envirotex says you can either mask the edges or remove the drips as the form, but before they harden.
i'd probably do both, personally.

I taped off the gasket as best I could --- If I had to do it over again, and I might.... I would form a dam under the lid and let it drip off.... If we can get this to cool --- I'll sand the 4 edges and recoat.....

Butch

Think I have found a compressor -- will know positively when it's in my hands - A/C man will be here a week from today, so next update will be next Sat/Sun. If the freezer has internal leaks and cannot be repaired - Wife says we're buying a new one, and doing the same design over again... the lid in these pictures will be mounted on the wall somewhere in the "cave" ---

Stay tuned......

You could use it as a fermentation chamber, you could pull cold air from the new keezer to the old one to keep it at the right fermentation temps. I hope all your work was not in vain.

Clem (keep my finger crossed for you)

Saturday afternoon:

Cut the freon line to add a service fitting and nothing came out -- no freon, no air, not even any dust!

Get it charged, compressor runs fine, lines cool but freezer does not cool overnight....

Looks like a compressor change today.....

Final post from me:

Freezer is scrap, freon line is leaking somewhere inside cabinet and it's really too old to justify any expensive repairs. I am going to remove the lid and hang it on the wall in the cave, the shell will be dismantled and taken to the local metal recycling facility -

I have started looking for a replacement, I know it's going to be a large one again, but not so sure about the graphics. We haven't really decided if another football field is in our future, but it will be different - maybe a beach scene or something tropical.

Appreciate all of the suggestions and comments from everyone - rest assured:

I will purchase a less than 5 year old freezer and I will take pictures every step of the way and post them here

After I remove everything and haul it off, I'll probably have about 200.00 into the project for vinyl, wood, urethane, clear coat and hardware. Most everything else will go on the new one.....

Life is great - you never know what's around the next corner

Cheers!

ButchV12

Aww that totally sucks!

I've been following the build, and I must say, I see a Chargers keezer in my future...

Best of luck to you!

The whole time I was going through the thread I was thinking, man, that intricate top is going to be scrap some day. If you would have done that on a 1/4" piece of MDF, it could be transferred from one lid to another over the years. Sad. I had a brand new freezer only last 3 years. A used one is already on borrowed time.

I have been waiting for the last post. That way I know mine will be last. You did an amazing job and the thread has been entertaining and informative. But being a Steeler fan, it just seems like a lot of waisted effort! That could look SOOOOO much better. Just kidding. I also really like the Mustang. Enjoy it.

Great documentation and an even better job on the project! I'm glad to hear that you are keeping it in the man cave, because that thing is a work of art! Thanks for posting.

PS feel free to drop by and spend 6 months or so painting mine! :D;)

This is just the damnedest thing I've ever read, how the OP kept his cool I'll never know. Lessons to be learned I guess and an absolutely awesome project....right up to where he plugged it in.

How about a clean shot of that stang?

Sure.....

1969 Mach 1 428CJ Auto A/C 49528 original miles --- we have owned it for about 20 years and it was not that condition when we found it.

Thanks

That is my dream car!! AWESOME! :mug:

Just looked up this old thread killing time before I go into work tonight --- hard to believe that was back in 2011 - my O my how things have changed since then..... We have decided to go full time in the beer business --- Navarro County Brewing Company will open the doors on or before May 1st... No one plans to fail - they just fail to plan.....

TransparentLogoBlack122211.jpg

Back