Adding fruit puree to secondary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wakeuphicks

Reaction score
Ok, first time experimenting with making a fruit beer, and this only my 2nd brew overall. That being said...
I plan on moving my beer to a secondary fermentor (glass carboy) and adding the fruit puree (3lbs Apricot Puree) in while im racking to secondary. But whats the best way to go about this? I read that the best way to reduce risk of oxidation is dump the can of puree in first and then rack the beer on top of the puree, Im just worried that wont mix it up that well. And I assume since the puree is pasteurized you can just dump in as is, without boiling it or doing anything to the fruit itself, right?
Any tips?

Your procedure is correct. Some people stir it gently every few days or once a week, depending on how long you plan on keeping your beer in the secondary.

I just did a cherry wheat ale which is getting ready for secondary. I took the puree and put it in the boil last 2 min to minimize possible infection from the dirty can. I am thinking about adding crushed cherries to secondary then adding natural flavoring in the keg. The puree has turned my brew into a ruby color hefe. So be ready for a color change. Make sure to sanitize the can, opener, and any equipment used to place the puree in the carboy. Also there should be enough alcohol to kill any bacteria that could linger in the puree. Good luck to you sir.

Sanitize a spoon (or some other long skinny item) and stir every day or two. Leave beer in secondary with fruit for at least a couple weeks before bottling or kegging.

I would place the puree in frist then rack the brew on top of the puree. I would not stir it. Just let it sit. Since you rack from the bottom of the fermenter. When bottling or kegging a little bit of the puree will make it into each bottle to add more flavor. Its from experience you may want to still grab a natural flavoring from your LHBS shop. To add when you bottle or keg it for more flavor.

Question..and I hope this doesn't appear as a hijacking...but instead of fruit puree' why not add fruit extract in secondary(or primary) and another dose of extract in the serving keg, or bottling bucket? Is there that much more flavor in puree'...and wouldnt the additional fermentables dry the beer further?

Question..and I hope this doesn't appear as a hijacking...but instead of fruit puree' why not add fruit extract in secondary(or primary) and another dose of extract in the serving keg, or bottling bucket? Is there that much more flavor in puree'...and wouldnt the additional fermentables dry the beer further?

Even though I use a puree, I dont pull tons of flavor, I still add the natural flavoring to my keg. Wondering what it would be like having fresh fruit in a tea bag in the keg.

For one thing most of the time fresh fruit is FREE (in the luscious Willamette valley anyway) :mug:

Back