Mash Efficiency

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cregar

Reaction score
Is it possible to get 86.5% mash efficiency?

If I did my math right... thats what I came up with for my first AG.

Yes. Pat yourself on the shoulder, and have another... -p

Sure its possible. I just use Tastybrews calculator and my first AG I got 78.8% efficiency. However, I lost 10 points on my second one ~69% efficiency.

ahhh I must have done my math wrong, after using the Tastybrew calculator it actually comes up at 76.9%. :)

It was extremely fun to do... I am definitely hooked on this hobby now. The only thing bothering me is the water in my airlock keep getting sucked into the carboy... Im afraid the wort's going to get contaminated.

How can I keep that from happening?

Sounds like you are filling the airlock up to much- past the center cylinder. Try just filling it 1/3 but enough where the bottom of the "air cap" is submerged. Also try using cheap vodka instead of water. It will stay sterilized, keep insects from getting in during the summer, and if any does get sucked into your carboy... you see where that is going.

Thirsty1 said:
Sounds like you are filling the airlock up to much- past the center cylinder. Try just filling it 1/3 but enough where the bottom of the "air cap" is submerged. Also try using cheap vodka instead of water. It will stay sterilized, keep insects from getting in during the summer, and if any does get sucked into your carboy... you see where that is going.

Filling it up just to the line... I have it in a temp controlled freezer. You think it might be a difference in temp between the freezer and the carboy?

Cool it down slowly. For instance, if the freezer is set to 62f and you stick a carboy full of 80f wort into it, there's gonna be a big differential and you may get suckback. So, set the freezer higher, and slowly chill it down.

Also, just use vodka. A little bit won't hurt your beer. It'll just make it a little more boozified.

Are you using a 3-piece airlock or an s-shaped 2-piece?

Lastly, are you sure it's getting sucked back in? It might just be evaporating quickly...

Evan! said:
Cool it down slowly. For instance, if the freezer is set to 62f and you stick a carboy full of 80f wort into it, there's gonna be a big differential and you may get suckback. So, set the freezer higher, and slowly chill it down.

Doesn't matter how fast/slow you cool it. The air in the carboy is going to shrink the same amount, and suck the liquid frm the airlock.

Use a solid stopper until either you hit your ferment temp, or the fermentation starts producing enough CO2 to prevent suckback.

Or just tap the top of your airlock every couple hours after you pitch yeast, until the temp evens out.

Back