Johnson Controls - WTF ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewer3401

Reaction score
Had 2 (analog, not digital) since about 2004

Before Katrina (not my daughter - the hurricane), I was very anal about monitoring temps using a graduated cylinder with water in the freezer and a digital thermometer.

I also monitor clarity with a 14-16" cylinder with a sample after I rack to the brite tank - gives me an idea of how the beer is clearing.

Noticed over the last week or so, that even though I had the control set at 36 F (I wanted an average temp of 34 F), that the beer in the cylinder was freezing.

I checked again today, after raising the controller temp to 38, and the beer in the cylinder was freezing again.

I checked with a digital thermometer, and my beer in the cylinder was 30.6 F -- this is where the WTF comes in - 38 on the controller should give me an average temp of 36 F - I just raised it to 40 F and will check again in the morning.

My chest freezer is a GE (they have become a POS) that is only about 2 years old. BUT, the controller should regulate the temps.

I have nothing else in the freezer that would interfere with the probe recognizing what the temp is - it is positioned so that it is in free air space and not touching anything.

Q for the more advanced brewers - should I put the probe in liquid to register the temps better ? (had not done this in the past, and did not have trouble keeping temps within range of what I told the control to do)

Guess the point is, be anal about your temps and use a secondary method to monitor temps. Just setting the control at a certain temp does not guarantee that that is what reality is.

I guess it's like the old expression: "never trust a fart"

Hope this helps some of the newbies and intermediates avoid potential problems (temp showing X, and it's really Y - could interfere with fermentation times)

:)

Submerge the temp probe in a bottle of water. This will keep it from kicking on every time you open the lid. The temperate of a liquid changes much slower than the temp of air.

I have a lagering fridge and a keezer. I use Johson analog on both. My probes hang down freely in the air. I never went to the trouble of using water for the probe and have tested with a milk thermometer and the temps have been right on.

Check the docs to see if you can calibrate that controller. It sounds off to me.

I have a lagering fridge and a keezer. I use Johson analog on both. My probes hang down freely in the air. I never went to the trouble of using water for the probe and have tested with a milk thermometer and the temps have been right on.

Check the docs to see if you can calibrate that controller. It sounds off to me.

I'm sure it's off. I have it set at 40 F for the last 2 days, and the actual temp of liquid in the freezer is 31 F

I have another controller - I'll look around and see if you can calibrate them.

Thanks (yes, just hanging in open air used to work fine - they are about 8 years old, so maybe it just croaked a little)

It is quite possible that it's just your probes are getting older and you may need to clean them up and/or change them. They don't last forever and the resistance changes over time as the metal corrodes, etc.

Back