No bottle caps!?!?!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jonbomb

Reaction score
Someone in my house threw out my bottle caps and the beer is bottled.... WTF is the best way to deal with this crappy situation...I was thinking of puting saran wrap around all of the bottle to stop the bacteria from getting in the bottles...

Yeah. maybe saran wrap and rubber bands; or foil pinched tight.

You'll probably need to get carb tabs, depending on how quick you can get new caps...

If you can get a pretty good airtight seal (so O2 won't get in, and the minor amount of CO2 from carbonation won't get out) - I actually think you may be okay....

Please, please, please - keep us updated!!!! I have no experience with this, and it would be cool to see the results.

Huh, weird...I typically cap each bottle as I go...paranoid I'll tip one over and waste a whole bottle of pure joy and happiness. Then again, I typically have a brew buddy or my dad there, so it's a simple 2-man operation.

You know, a beer in the fermenter does not start bubbling or off gassing CO2 for several hours usually. You just might get away with it. I would definitely want to cover them up with some plastic wrap. I haven't seen this one come up since 2007. Good question!

****_a_brick.jpg

It's what I'd do.

Edit: Stupid sensor...use your imagination. I refuse to delete my post even if it is a fail.

Ok so I popped one open to see how carbed it was and its been three days and when I opened it up there wasnt much of a hiss and it was totally flat. I'm gonna open another one this friday and if its still flat im gonna pop them all open and use carbonation tablets. The only problem is I can only get the coopers carb tabs from midwest because no one else has them and shipping is like 12 dollars...

lol i usually wait till the end to grab my caps and sanitize them...

Yeah...that's probably a good way to get stuff maybe into those bottles while you are filling them...I usually fit a cap on each one, which will help void out any o2 before crimping, then when I get a case worth filled I then crimp each one down starting from the first to the last.

Ok so I popped one open to see how carbed it was and its been three days and when I opened it up there wasnt much of a hiss and it was totally flat. I'm gonna open another one this friday and if its still flat im gonna pop them all open and use carbonation tablets. The only problem is I can only get the coopers carb tabs from midwest because no one else has them and shipping is like 12 dollars...

The coopers (unless they have changed and I do not know about it) are a PITA to use. The "tabs" are the size of a lemon drop and may not fit in the mouth of the bottle. I would search more for the Muntons...but that is me.

I use the Muntons carb tabs also. They are about the size of an aspirin. I have used the Cooper's drops recently, but have not popped the tops on any of those yet. They look like big gumdrops. They are big but they fit in the bottles fine..

The Munton's carb tabs work great. Some people have complained about floating sediment but I don't have a problem with them.

The coopers (unless they have changed and I do not know about it) are a PITA to use. The "tabs" are the size of a lemon drop and may not fit in the mouth of the bottle. I would search more for the Muntons...but that is me.

I like the Coopers ones, they fit just fine into a bottle in my experience. I didn't like the munton's ones because I didn't like counting out the little pills for each bottle, plus they leave some white crap behind. Coopers is one drop per bottle.

Ok so I popped one open to see how carbed it was and its been three days and when I opened it up there wasnt much of a hiss and it was totally flat...

Really?

Really?

three days? - Since they're sealed, give them 2 weeks. Then if you get a little hiss on one, go another week or two - three days wasn't really going to give you anything anyway...you might be totally okay.

Latest posts

Back