Monster Mill 2.0 or 3.0 which one????

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ILOVEBEER

Reaction score
Hello,

I am in the market for a monster mill. I am torn between the 2.0 or 3.0.

In stock form with no upgrade either is a great purchase, but I do not want to buy one and think..."I should have bought the other."

So I am seeking advice. Monster mill 2.0 or 3.0?

Thanks for the help!

Joe

I just bought a monster mill myself and went with the 2 roller version. I just don't see a lot of people getting better results with the 3 roller. If I need to have less torn husks I plan to just condition the malt, no need for the more complicated mill.

IMO, only you can decide and whichever one you choose it will be completely satisfactory. All of the roller type malt mills available are capable of producing an excellent grist when adjusted and operated properly. It's very rare to read anything negative about any of them and everyone seems to love the one they have. I think I would choose the MM-2 just to save a little cash, but the three roller job has a higher bling rating if that's what you are after. You really can't go wrong with either.

Well considering I don't have a mill at all, I just want something that will work great for years. The MM2 is substantially cheaper and along with the hopper, it could get expensive. I think the MM2 should do me fine.

Conpewter...how do you condition malt and do you do this often or is it really necessary?

Thanks

I took the plunge...I bought the MM2, the hopper and base. I think I will be happy with the results and according to the guy at monster mill, this particular "stock" version will easily mill 10k pounds of grain before anything wears out. You can't beat that.

Well considering I don't have a mill at all, I just want something that will work great for years. The MM2 is substantially cheaper and along with the hopper, it could get expensive. I think the MM2 should do me fine.

Conpewter...how do you condition malt and do you do this often or is it really necessary?

Thanks

I only mentioned conditioning malt because the MM3 is touted for giving you more full husk pieces than a 2 roller mill. This will help if you have issues with stuck sparges. Generally you'll be fine, I plan to set mine at about .37 gap. If I do need a better lauter bed in my tun I'll condition the malt, essentially you spray the malt with a little bit of water and that softens the hulls so they come out more intact.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/wiki/index.php/Malt_Conditioning

I've not done it yet as I've not needed to. I got the MM2 to replace my current mill which is only 2" wide and runs way too fast. I have a dedicated motor for my new mill and will build a station for it.

I can't imagine anything wearing out in 150 batches. I have the stainless MM-3 and it mills enough grain for my 12.5 gal batches in like 3 minutes. I think these mills will last a lifetime. That would be like 10 years for most brewers. I love mine and the hopper was supper cheap. The key to lasting is making sure you take the time to get the bases all square when mounting it down. Get it in-line keep, it clean, and I can't see a Monster wearing out. They are tanks! :rockin: :rockin:

I think the MM2 I bought will do exactly what I need it to do. It should last a lifetime of home brewing

If I had it to do over again, I would go with the MM-2. My MM-3 is awesome, but I bought it before I went all grain. 2 roller is all a brewer could ever need. I would guess one would not be able to tell the difference in crush between the two.

Back