"upgrading" to star san

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ziggityz

Reaction score
I have used one step for all my brews so far, but the more and more I read about one step it sounds like it doesn't really sanitize. I would use star san, but I've read stories about it ruining counter tops. As of now my wife supports my homebrewing hobby, if i ruined our counter tops...I don't think she would be so supportive.

I've never had a problem with it "ruining" counter tops. StarSan is great....Get a new 5 gallon bucket (Homedepot, Lowes) 5 gallons of Distilled water and 1oz of StarSan...it will keep for about 6 months, provided you keep a lid on it. I bought a bottle 2 years ago and still haven't used it all. Keep in mind it is a contact sanitizer and not a cleaner.

Agreed. Not sure where you heard about it ruining counter tops, but I certainly have never experienced that. Mine is that plastic laminate style counter top (you know, the cheap kind). I'm pretty sure if it ruined that stuff it wouldn't do well with plastic buckets, better bottles, etc. Now, if you pour the premixed concentrated Starsan on your counter, I'm not sure what would happen.

Personally, I think Starsan is awesome! Not sure what I would do without it.

In concentrated form right out of the bottle it will definitely ruin a counter top. I got some on a painted surface one time and it stained it pretty bad. You just have to be careful with it until you mix it.

I'm getting these strange stains around my counter top, nothing from the diluted form but I usually put the bottle in one spot and it seems to be almost bleeching the counter top. I have sh***y counter tops and we are redoing them, but if wifey puts two and two together, I could be in for it.

Still not sure its from star san but I don't see what else it could be from

I'm getting these strange stains around my counter top, nothing from the diluted form but I usually put the bottle in one spot and it seems to be almost bleeching the counter top. I have sh***y counter tops and we are redoing them, but if wifey puts two and two together, I could be in for it.

Still not sure its from star san but I don't see what else it could be from

My humble advice: Be prepared to immediatly and aggressively disavow all knowledge of a molecule of StarSan ever coming within the vicinity of those countertops! Haha! :off:

sounds good, I have had my last couple beers become over carbonated in the bottles, and I have a suspicion there was a little something left in the bottles

Back