Ack!!! Need boiling advice right now!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Keither

Reaction score
Hi guys, I'm just finishing the "sparging" of my porter right now. It's going great, except work just called to remind me of a meeting I totally forgot about!!! It's 5:42 right now and the meeting is at 6:30.

Is it possible to finish sparging, put a lid on the pot and leave it for an hour before beginning the boil? It'll be a short meeting. Nothing bad will happen, right? RIGHT?

Hi guys, I'm just finishing the "sparging" of my porter right now. It's going great, except work just called to remind me of a meeting I totally forgot about!!! It's 5:42 right now and the meeting is at 6:30.

Is it possible to finish sparging, put a lid on the pot and leave it for an hour before beginning the boil? It'll be a short meeting. Nothing bad will happen, right? RIGHT?

Right! I'd try to bring it up to a boil now, just to kill any lacto bugs that were on the grain, and then shut it off with the lid on it and resume after the meeting.

Once the grains are out, I don't think it matter much if it sits around for a while. An hour definately shouldn't hurt.

Thanks guys! I'll boil it now to sterilise it, and then turn it off and cover it and boil it again.

I guess "extracts" are boiled twice, once when they are made and then again when you make the beer, so this should be fine. Thanks for the reassurance!!

Back