Malting Gluten Free Grains

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Can someone explain what this means?
"They mashed really well (104-140-160 with 30 minute cycles) "
Does that mean keep at 104°F for 30 min, then 140°F, then 160°F, each for 30 min?

I'd like to try adding some malted quinoa to the Gluten Free McGee recipe.

Do you have a website as I am interested in brewing your oats.

Hi. I work at Montana State University with a focus on gluten-free crops and products. We were directly with a gluten-free production and processing company called Montana Gluten Free Processors. We are currently working with two gluten-free grains (Nude oats and Timothy). Traditional oats have a seed coating like barley. Some people with celiac disease have an adverse reaction to these oats. Nude oats are a related species and are naked like wheat. In a small study, 95% of the people who reacted to traditional oats did not react to nude oats. This company sells a number of gluten-free flours and mixes (best gluten-free bread, I have ever eaten!!!).

My questions are in regard to malt. We made malt from the gluten-free oats. To date, we have incorporated the oat malt into bread. The bread with malt has improved crust (It is crispier) and improved flavor. We want to find out if the oat malt can be used for production of beer. We approached several micro-breweries. They need a minimum of 200 pounds of malt.

I am hoping that there is a better approach. Would anyone be willing to work with us to evaluate the nude oats for beer malt production? I can make small quanities of malt but from the thread, I think that you are much better. The oats are gluten-free (all product coming in to the facility is tested using an immunological test). The product would come directly from the gluten-free facility. the facility is dedicated to gluten-free processing and is certified by the CSA (Celiac society of America).

We also work with a second gluten-free grain called Timothy. We have no information on malting. Thanks, Alice

Thanks for the info on bluffwallace's technique, curious if you know how much extract (how many lbs or kilos) bluffwallace uses in his recipes (5gal batches). If not, if you can point me to some threads or recipes by some advanced GF brewers, I'm new to all this myself and have searched but see a lot of differing opinions and lots of unsure experiments. I know, "the newbie needs info, why can't he find it himself"! :)

Thanks in advance!

I have been brewing for about 3 years now and over the past 8 months have been experimenting with GF brewing for a friend of mine.

My experience with sorgum malt brewing has been less than satisfying. I have tried 5 different batches and recipies and the end result has been very sweet and somewhat dissapointing. I have gotten good body and head retention but I continue to get a sweet citrus finish on the beers. My idea is to make a 100% buckwheat beer:

Malting hulled buckwheat as a base.
Roasting unhulled buckwheat a varying levels as specialty grains.

To all of you more experienced brewers please let me know your experience or concerns.

I usually use 6 gallons of sorghum or rice syrup(Annapolis home brew) as a base (5-6 gallon batch) and I always use about 1-3 lbs of crused roasted grain (Quinoa (malts nicely), Millet, or buckwheat. I also use about 1-2 cups of molasses. sometimes I substitute the molasses with brown suger, honey, or blue agave. As for the sweet and citrus taste in the previous reply, try using different hops and use much more bitter hops w/high alpha acid. I always bitter with high alpha acid hops. the only time I get citrus taste is when I dry hop with Chinook for an IPA. Otherwise, I find that my beers are excellent if you bitter hop a little extra. for a 5 gal batch, I would use high alpha acid hops, 1 to 1.5 oz to bitter, 1 oz to flavor, and 1/2 oz for Aroma. For an Ipa, I bitter w/ high alpha acid hops (1 oz for 90 min), (.5 to 1oz for 60 min), 1 to 1.5 oz 30 min for flavor, 1 oz for 5 min for aroma and then I dry hop with 1.5 oz of leaf.

Malted Millet, Buckwheat and Brown Rice over the last several days...

I had a failed experience previously with quinoa and millet so since I am new at this stuff I got a sprouting coach (a guy that sells grains for sprouting in Boulder, CO)...

Used Large Ziplock reusable containers, poked holes in the bottoms (for rinsing/drainage) and drilled a few in each of the four sides (high up on the container for air).
Soaked all overnight (10 hours total) in large bowls, threw the grains (separately) into the modified container and rinsed and covered w/ lids and let it sit on the dining table...
Rinsed 2-3 times a day.
Air Temp: 72
Buckwheat was fully modified after 24 hours after the soak (thereabout) Buckwheat Groats were used
Millet 48 hours-ish (w/ hull)
Brown Rice is still getting there at 72 hours and I am now putting it outside in the heat to speed it up, which is working, noticable change in 4 hours (90+ outside today with some humidity, but this is CO, so not really)
Dehydrated to stop the modification process in a excalibur dehydrator for as long as it took to dry out (buckwheat much longer than millet)
Roasting 25 minutes at 300 for an IPA recipe.
Going to throw the roasted malt in a brown bag for 2 weeks.

My wife and I have been trying to reduce the amount of gluten we ingest, and so I have been reading a lot of gluten free brewing sources as I can find them. I've seen people mention the pdf's that were from aussiebrewer's forums, but I have not been able to get a hold of them. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to get it from their forums since public registration is closed, and the link to them in this forum on google docs is no longer functional. If anyone had them on their computer and was able to send them my way I'd be very grateful.

EDIT: Nevermind, just got access to them.

I am getting conflicting information about whether hulled buckwheat will sprout or not. I have some raw hulled buckwheat that I plan to attempt a malt with in the next few days. Does anyone know if hulled buckwheat will sprout or not?

Ammended: I ordered unhulled buckwheat, sprouted, and malted that. I've actually malted it and brewed a GF chocolate using the buckwheat, flaked corn, instant rice, and of course chocolate. Rule of thumb. If you sprout it and it stinks do not use it. I sprouted hulled millet but it smelled aweful so I think it needs more attention than I gave it. Will try again in 2012, year of the dragon.

Seven Bridges Organic brew supply ( breworganic.com) now has buckwheat gluten free beer kits.

Seven Bridges Home brew supply ( breworganic.com ) now has Buck wheat - gluten free brew kits / with malting instructions.
Cheers
Malted Millet, Buckwheat and Brown Rice over the last several days...

I had a failed experience previously with quinoa and millet so since I am new at this stuff I got a sprouting coach (a guy that sells grains for sprouting in Boulder, CO)...

Used Large Ziplock reusable containers, poked holes in the bottoms (for rinsing/drainage) and drilled a few in each of the four sides (high up on the container for air).
Soaked all overnight (10 hours total) in large bowls, threw the grains (separately) into the modified container and rinsed and covered w/ lids and let it sit on the dining table...
Rinsed 2-3 times a day.
Air Temp: 72
Buckwheat was fully modified after 24 hours after the soak (thereabout) Buckwheat Groats were used
Millet 48 hours-ish (w/ hull)
Brown Rice is still getting there at 72 hours and I am now putting it outside in the heat to speed it up, which is working, noticable change in 4 hours (90+ outside today with some humidity, but this is CO, so not really)
Dehydrated to stop the modification process in a excalibur dehydrator for as long as it took to dry out (buckwheat much longer than millet)
Roasting 25 minutes at 300 for an IPA recipe.
Going to throw the roasted malt in a brown bag for 2 weeks.

My wife and I have been trying to reduce the amount of gluten we ingest, and so I have been reading a lot of gluten free brewing sources as I can find them. I've seen people mention the pdf's that were from aussiebrewer's forums, but I have not been able to get a hold of them. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to get it from their forums since public registration is closed, and the link to them in this forum on google docs is no longer functional. If anyone had them on their computer and was able to send them my way I'd be very grateful.

EDIT: Nevermind, just got access to them.
Can you post those pdfs here?

Thank you so much! I was having the exact same problem with the aussie forums...

After reading it, it seems to be the most detailed and concise guide to GF malting/brewing I've seen. If it were sold as a book, I'd buy it in a second. Can the files be stickied/attached to this forum somehow? I tried to upload them as attachments, but the filesize limitation was too small...

Anyone ever try a kitchen sprouter? I have some bird seed ( Bird died) Its mostly millet, i'm going to give it a try and see how it works.

20121026_122846-1.jpg

I dunno about the buckwheat (I've tried malting it several time and never succeded yet), but there's the company TruRoots who's making a gluten-free sprouted rice and quinoa blend (which I'm hoping to use to homebrew beer). I think the quinoa isn't sprouted, but I intend to make the test and put it to soak and try to malt the whole mix once again to get the quinoa to sprout. I dunno if it's gonna work, but I'll be back for some news about it. It could simplify GF homebrewing!!

By the way Casanova, your recipes are kinda nice. I like using them to start making my recipes, but my GFbeers still don't have any foam... Do you use something to get this right?

^
I use the Tru Roots Quinoa available form Costco in 4# bags fro $10. It sprouts in under 3 days. Its the only grain I've ever malted, but it seamed to work well for me.

^
I use the Tru Roots Quinoa available form Costco in 4# bags fro $10. It sprouts in under 3 days. Its the only grain I've ever malted, but it seamed to work well for me.

I've had good luck with the Costco quinoa, buckwheat from the whole food's bulk bin and NOW Food's amaranth.

They both look OK to me. It looks like this is organic so it shouldn't have been treated in any way but you might want to check in case it has been irradiated or treated in some other way that might affect malting.

celiacsurvivor, did you respond and then change your response? I got an email saying you think the sorgum is ok but the buckwheat is not? Now you think they both will work? I was under the impression that it is the hulled buckwheat that will sprout. I do appreciate any input.

Nick

celiacsurvivor, did you respond and then change your response? I got an email saying you think the sorgum is ok but the buckwheat is not? Now you think they both will work? I was under the impression that it is the hulled buckwheat that will sprout. I do appreciate any input.

Nick

Hi, yes I did change my response, I thought that hulled buckwheat wouldn't sprout too but after a bit of google searching I found that it actually does.

http://sproutpeople.org/bwgroats.html

http://gnowfglins.com/2007/09/27/sprouting-hulled-buckwheat-for-breakfast/#

hope this helps

I have had no problem malting the hulled buckwheat from the Whole Foods bulk bin. You could go that route if you are in a hurry to get started or want to avoid shipping.

Here is a response I had last a while back last year and in 2011 from Pleasanthill grain about sorghum. This of course could have changed since then, particularly since when I bought it, the supplier was not organic, and this year, it is. Also... I'm going to set up a sprouting chamber in my spare bathroom shower and see how that goes.

Hello,

Thank you for your inquiry. The grains you are interested in are all open pollinated and able to be sprouted.

We would appreciate your business.
Dee Ann for Pleasant Hill Grain

On 7/24/2011 7:50 AM, KevinM wrote:
Hello,

I was wondering if your gluten free grains are able to be sprouted, or if they've been processed to prevent sprouting.

Particularly:
Buckwheat
Sorghum
Quinoa
Amaranth
Millet
I was able to see that the oats have been rendered non-maltable/non-sproutable.

Thank you.
Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2012 20:50:36 -0700 (PDT)
According to the grower of the sorghum, the white variety sorghum we source is virtually Tanin free. There might be a very small amount, almost unmeasurable, though.
The sorghum is not pasteurized.
The sorghum is not irradiated.
The Sorghum is not organic; however, the grower practices responsible chemical use and no-till farming. It is GMO and Gluten free. The sorghum is a tan plant, white grained variety. This particular variety is bred for its sweet (not bitter) taste, as well as excellent milling characteristics.

I found this website. http://www.aaoobfoods.com/bulkfoods.htm cheapest iv found quinoa 25 lb/ $69 and millet 50 lb/ $46. I dont know about shipping and it may not be gluten free. If you wash it a bunch before you malt it will it mater if its processed with gluten?

I think the main issue with grains would be the possibility of other grains being mixed in...for example if they use the same equipment to harvest/process wheat first...

With quinoa and millet it would be fairly easy, just make a screen with small diameter holes. Wheat and barley are fairly larger than quinoa and millet. Washing it would separate the husks out from the wheat or barley. Now sorghum on the other hand would probably have to be gone threw by hand, so that's out.

It matters to many people. Might not matter to some others as "mostly gluten free".

Also sifting isn't the best idea because you can still get particulates coming through. The best is to have dedicated fields.

That said, since the grain isn't being directly eaten (like oatmeal), then the beer's gluten results should be pretty low.

Yeah, I'm one of those people that it matters to. I'm sensitive down to like 5ppm. Have you washes grains before all the particulates float. So as long as there are no whole grains in there washing would take everything out. Just to let you know about the dedicated field thing... if there is a field within 5 miles that is growing something else it can get into that field. It happens all the time in farming.

Sorry to resurrect a dormant thread, but I just read though all 20 pages.... Has anyone evolved towards automating some their malting equipment in the last 3 years of this thread's existance? and if so, anyone have any pics?

Sadly, life had gotten too busy for me to start my processes. I think I have enough parts for my purpose, I think, just need to assemble and wash and begin.
Tbh, I've been too busy to brew anything, either.

Hi,

has anyone tried malting Japanese Millet, or Sirohie Millet? I know that most millet in the States is White Proso, but this is not available in New Zealand.

Before I started with these varieties I thought it would be best to ask if anyone has any experience with them?

Cheers

Millet and Sorghum are similar but not the same. I Malt my own Millet but the grain you get from "The Bulk Barn" will not germinate as it has been IR radiated. I had to source out millet grain for Birds. Takes two days to germinate and then I start the drying stage. I dry it in the germ box after I take the crock pot full of water out of the bottom tray and put in my dehydrator base which runs the whole time and is set for 38cel max(if you happen to forget about it). With this set up it runs for 24hrs with full air fan pulling from the top of the box and is dry to the touch. Then I cure it at 170F for 1.5 - 2hrs depending on the type of malt I want to use it for. Crystal takes me about 3-5hrs as I spray it down and keep it moist through the "drying" stage. Then I use the cloths drier to tumble it to break of the shoots. It sound like a lot of work but the control you get over all the ingredients and the taste is worth it.

Back