Straining Hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigkevj

Reaction score
Question for all of you:

When I am done boiling and have my wort and am ready to transfer it to my primary fermenter, what techniques do you use to strain out the hops? I had a small funnel with a strainer, but couldn't pour much wort into the fermenter w/o having to stop and clean out the strainer.

I just put the funnel with strainer into my bottling bucket then slowly pour my wort into it. As the strainer gets covered with hops I stop, press them with my spoon to get all the juices out, and dump them into the garbage (which I position next to the bucket). I probably do this 5 or 6 times before all the wort gets into the bucket. There is probably a better way but this way I at least ensure I get all the tasty wort into the bucket.

When I do 5 gallon batches, I just pick up the kettle and pour it though a stainer like this. I aerates the wort as well. Get it at Target.

4569-Strainer.jpg

I find that the combination of using irish moss in the boil and then whirlpooling means I get a pretty solid cone in the kettle and I don't need to filter the hops (I use pellet hops only). However I still do as EdWort does and let my CFC discharge into the fermenter through a strainer. Just in case. :)

I use the strainer method with pellet hops but find it gets really clogged for some of my hoppier brews. I've been thinking about switching to whole leaf hops for this reason. In the meantime, I just clear the strainer as needed (it does make me worry about infection though).

What about if you are only doing a primary fermentation so you put it in the carboy? That nice strainer would not work for that.

I bought a large (18"x24" IIRC) nylon mesh bag at the LHBS, it stretches over the rim of the bucket and fits down inside. Pour the wort, pull the bag out, and most of the hops come with it - of course a lot of the real fine hop particles aren't stopped, but a lot of that will get through a strainer as well.

Back