Making Cheese Every Day

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HerotBrewer

Reaction score
I work in one of the largest private label cheese plants in the country. I started homebrewing as a hobby to have something to do besides work. How odd that the community of people who brew also make cheese. I probably don't have a huge amount of knowledge about making cheese at home, but it is interesting to see how it works at the factory level.

Ok, so I'm boring. Lots of views and no comments. My company makes about 270,000 pounds of cheese per day. However I believe the process isn't that different from what everyone does at home, it's just scaled up. What is interesting is how they reuse the whey and other byproducts. Does anyone here use their whey for anything?

I would love to get into cheese making, but just don't have time or money or space for any more stuff haha.

Between farming, brewing and cheesemaking...I would almost be self sufficient :D

I don't do much with the whey, except for ricotta. After that, I usually give it to the dog (he loves it) or compost it. I used to use it in bread, but I'm not eating much bread these days.

What do commercial makers do with their whey? Is it the same as the product found in whey protein products?

They condense it and dry it down into powder. It then ends up in loads of products including Cheeto/Dorito type chips, candy bars, yes whey protein powders for bodybuilders, beverages, and it also gets sold as feed for veal and pork.

Back