hot liquor tun

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jamest22

Reaction score
I am planning on adding a hot liquor tun to my all grain setup. I would like to have a see through (plastic/glass) tube on the outside for water level readings. The tube would attach to a valve at the bottom of the kettle and run up the height of it.

Does anyone know of a product like what I am describing. Or, if I was to construct my own, what material would be acceptable for the see through tube (needs to withstand 212 degrees F)?

jamest22,
I just got one of those in the mail a few days ago. I bought (from bobby M) the version with the built in thermometer. He even sells if for $5 off if bought via the link in the thread. Shipping was priority and cheap, I got it in 2-3 days. This is a thing of beauty. There are several other versions available from other vendors, but I feel this one is the best. Most of the others are based on 1/2 inch fittings that are just too bulky. This version also allows for the lowest (smallest volume) reading than those that mount the tubing from the vertical position. More Beer does have a nice version with an integral tubing shield but I think the total came to over $100 for that version. I was a initally a little concerned about the smaller thermometer face (2") but inperson, this is a non-issue. The dial is easily readable and very clear, with 2deg increments. You will have to drill an additional hole for this, but in a smaller (easier) than the typical 1/2" size. I thought about combining the sight glass with my valve, but adding the second hole makes for a much cleaner install.
I cannot recommend this product enough. Bobby is offering a superior product at a very reasonable price and will take the time to answer any and all questions you may have.
CHEERS
jason

Back