Dividing 5 gallons of hard cider help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bad67z

Reaction score
I have 5 gallons of hard cider off the lees in a bright tank that I have been bulk aging in a carboy for over a year. I would like to separate it into 1 gallon vessels and add some adjunct to them. Is my cider too far along to do this?

I was planning on a blueberry, ginger, oak, vanilla and cinnamon. Any advice or suggestions would be appropriated.

I like my cider "naked" for the most part, but some light toast American oak will be nice. Just don't overdo! A small amount in one gallon would be all that's needed- say, maybe, 1/3 of an ounce for a week. Then taste and see if it's too much, or just enough. You want it to be a little more than just enough, if that makes sense. It will age over a month or two nicely.

As far as other additions, I don't have much experience with that.

I like my cider "naked" for the most part, but some light toast American oak will be nice. Just don't overdo! A small amount in one gallon would be all that's needed- say, maybe, 1/3 of an ounce for a week. Then taste and see if it's too much, or just enough. You want it to be a little more than just enough, if that makes sense. It will age over a month or two nicely.

As far as other additions, I don't have much experience with that.

Thanks for the advice Yooper, I have 15 gallons of cider that has more than a year on it, so I figured I would ask for suggestions and experiment with part of it.

I have a sil that has Celiac disease, she is the reason that I started brewing cider, I'm just trying to come up with some variety for her.

Back