Quick disconnect prices

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smittygouv30

Reaction score
Hello all,

I'm in the process of putting together my shopping list for an e-herms. I've been shopping around a little bit searching different sites for quick disconnects and ballvalves. Where did you get yours. are you happy with them, and who has the best prices?
Thanks!
Corey

I can't say anything but GOOD about Wayne at bargainfittings.com Great prices and AWESOME service as well as the fastest/cheapest shipping I've found.

I've bought a LOT of stuff from Bargain Fittings over the past year, or so. Solid prices on most of what I need. Of course, there are things I wanted/needed that he didn't have, so I got those elsewhere. I would also check out Brewer's Hardware and Brew Hardware for things. Keg Connection is solid for most things keg related too.

I bought mine from BrewHardware.com and StainlessBrewing.com - their prices were nearly identical on the Cam-Locks.

Thanks for the replies! What's the verdict on which type is better, ball lock or cam lock? Is one easier to use or more reliable?

Corey

Thanks for the replies! What's the verdict on which type is better, ball lock or cam lock? Is one easier to use or more reliable?

Corey

Properly setup, both will perform equally. It's more a matter of personal preference (IMO/IME) with both having positive, and negative, aspects to them. I think that as long as you keep them clean (use PBW on them after using them) you'll do fine. I had one person sell me some QD's (ball lock style) that he just boiled when done using them. He thought that would clean them. Let me tell you, it did not. I could see a build-up in them. I soaked them in hot (it started off hot) PBW solution and then used a brush on them to get them REALLY clean. I do the same with all my QD's between batches. They go into the PBW solution, along with the hoses they're connected to, for a few days. Simply rinse out well and you're done. :ban:

Scored mine from Bargainfittings.com. Great deal. Great product.

I would caution though, if you are expecting ridiculous bling factor, you won't get it as they'll come shipped together in a big bag and scratch each other up.

Just a quick message, across the pond the prefered connection is via camlocks (expensive at £6.00 a fitting).

I tend to use the 1/2 camlocks. The trouble is the ones with the built in hole tails are very restrictive (flow wise). I therefore bought the ones without the tails, bored out the inside with a stepped drill bit and used a 1/2 weld nipple for the hose tail. It has greatly improved the flow of the fitting.

Cheers

IMG_7165.JPG

IMG_7169.jpg

IMG_7173.jpg

Colder HFC35 series - usplastics.com. One of the few with 5/8 ID fittings and that makes a huge difference in flow.

Thanks for all the replies. Is the barb even necessary or can't we just stretch the silicone over the 1/2" threaded end of the camlock and clamp it there?

Thanks for all the replies. Is the barb even necessary or can't we just stretch the silicone over the 1/2" threaded end of the camlock and clamp it there?

I wouldn't... I would at least use a barb (fitting) on it to get a good seat/seal. I also use Oetiker clamps on mine. I know, probably more than is needed, but the things don't come off on their own. :D

I have the MoreBeer stainless quick disconnects. I like them a lot and back when I bought them, the camlocks had yet to be discovered so your options were pretty much those, the plastic ones or the brass ones from McMaster. Consequently, they cost me a pretty penny.

Same applies regarding flow on the MoreBeer ones. The threaded are full port and the barbed ones are reduced port; this could be addressed with a FPT to full port barb if you like but given that the head on the March pump is reduced port, it doesn't seem necessary.

I've seen others now sell quick disconnects that look nearly identical to the MoreBeer ones that I got but I've always been hesitant to pickup any from elsewhere should there be a small difference in sizing.

jpalarchio said:
I have the MoreBeer stainless quick disconnects. I like them a lot and back when I bought them, the camlocks had yet to be discovered so your options were pretty much those, the plastic ones or the brass ones from McMaster. Consequently, they cost me a pretty penny.

Same applies regarding flow on the MoreBeer ones. The threaded are full port and the barbed ones are reduced port; this could be addressed with a FPT to full port barb if you like but given that the head on the March pump is reduced port, it doesn't seem necessary.

I've seen others now sell quick disconnects that look nearly identical to the MoreBeer ones that I got but I've always been hesitant to pickup any from elsewhere should there be a small difference in sizing.

There is a difference. I bought some from a company in Texas (can't remember which one) and had to send them back because I had mostly ones from more beer.

This is exactly what I do - after slightly dulling the threads (those suckers are sharp enough to cut my skin!). They'll definitely stay put with a worm clamp, though I believe I've read some folks don't bother with the clamp.

For hanging drops (eg: pump inputs and both sides of my plate chiller) I use Type B couplers with the tubing directly on the threads. For connecting to ball valves I add a street elbow to the Type B and put the tubing on the elbow threads...

Cheers!

Brew Hardware all the way! Great prices, quality stock, and quick shipping. I'm a loyal follower. I see it as both payback to him for all he has provided to the homebrewing community over the years as well as a decent price on brewing things.

Brew Hardware all the way! Great prices, quality stock, and quick shipping. I'm a loyal follower. I see it as both payback to him for all he has provided to the homebrewing community over the years as well as a decent price on brewing things.

While I agree with Dan here, the other vendors on this site have also been great contributors. Wayne from Bargain Fittings is all over this site. StainlessBrewing is also an active member here. I don't think you can go wrong with any of them.

Not knocking Bobby in any way. I've certainly sent him some $ in the past and been happy with the result.

Back