Imperial Stout Recipe Help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nberna19

Reaction score
I'll be taking a shot at brewing my first Imperial Stout this weekend and was looking for some recipe critiques on the grain bill:

76% Maris Otter
7.5% Chocolate
5% CaraPils
5% Crystal 120
5% Roasted Barley
1.5% Black malt

I don't want any harsh or burnt like flavors from the dark malts but I do want rich coffee, chocolate and roasted flavors. I'm aiming for around 8.5% ABV and I'd like to avoid a syrupy sweet beer as well. Any info is much appreciated

I recently made a somewhat similar stout, which is in my dropdown. It's also hard to tell how sweet this will be as you didn't list your hops additions and IBUs. Mine used 4.8% Caramel 120, and has about 66 IBUS.

Beyond the notes on my recipe link, I'd suggest less chocolate malt. I used 6.3% chocolate and that is the most predominant flavor, overtaking the peat smoked malt of the same %. It's delicious, but I think a better balance would be achieved around 5% or less.

Thanks for the info. I am probably gonna shoot for 50-60 IBU, somewhere in that range. My 2 biggest concerns are what % of Chocolate to use and what % of Roasted Barley to use. Think 5% Roasted Barley is too much?

Back