Up to $300 for Grain Mill

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hefehawk

Reaction score
My budget is up to $300 for a grain mill. I brew once every two weeks and want something that will last for a long time. Been looking at the Monster Mill line, but am confused with all of the options for different rollers. My question is, if you had $300, what would you get?

Lol! When I first read this, I read it as $300 for a grain BILL, not grain MILL! I thought you were crazy until I reread it! Unfortunately, I have no advice for ya!

Wish I had knowledge of enough grain mills to give good advice on that.
All I could say is that with your use, you shouldn't have to spend more than $150 or so.
How big of a grain bill do you expect to be milling and how much time do you want to save?
Do you need one that you can motorize, or would using a drill motor or hand cranking be good enough for you?

as others have pointed out you should not have to spend more than $150 or so for a good mill. the barley crusher is around that price so are most of the other brands.

Coincidence that I have a Corona Mill for sale for $300. I'll even cover the shipping for you!

Just Paypal me the funds and I'll get this baby shipped right off to you.

I have the barley crusher and it has worked great. No reason to spend 300 on one, but if you are set then look at monster mills..

I just got a mill from Rebel Brewer. I haven't used this thing yet, but it's built like a tank. I'm pretty sure this thing will last a good decade or longer if you use it 24 times a year.

Crankandstein makes awesome mills with settable gap widths and future motorizing add-ons. They're very reasonable and you won't need to spend $300 for an awesome mill. My lhb store uses one for customers and it never has problems and sees an unreal amount of throughput seeing as it's Chicago and it's the most popular hb store in the city.

Go look at auction farm sales ads in your area. Farms have roller mills for feed rolling. They are usually sold last as there is no demand for them and they often sell for scrap. Scrap dealers may have some. I paid $70.00 for mine from a farmer who had 3 units (from farm sales) and it had new rollers that cut my fingers when I pushed in on the roller. I had to add 2 pulleys and a 1 HP motor. It works great and has a auger to feed grain from the hopper and a slide to control grain flow and a large spring that will allow one roller to shift back if it hits a stone. I set mine at .030 and I get over 80-85 % efficiency every time.

Use the real thing!! Good luck...

Highly recommend the Malt Mill, stock 10 rollers I have the fully adjustable I have held 80-85% efficiency. There affordable made in the USA and they have commercial back ground wouldn't trade it for any other.

Barleycrusher. Then spend the rest on grain or other equipment like a refractometer.

I like my Monster Mill MM3. If money is no object get the MM3-2.0 and the hardened rollers. A cheap tool stand and low speed/high torque drill and you are done. Maybe under $300 total.

[ame]http://youtu.be/WZzIJSJiJ6U[/ame]

I would get the Monster MM2-2.0. It has a wider gap adjustability. Hardened rollers. Base and hopper if you don't want to make your own. $288 shipped. I've been wanting to get one myself. My barley crusher is on its way out. A lot of people, including myself, are having problems with the slave roller. And their customer service is reportedly terrible.

I would get the Monster MM2-2.0. It has a wider gap adjustability. Hardened rollers. Base and hopper if you don't want to make your own. $288 shipped. I've been wanting to get one myself. My barley crusher is on its way out. A lot of people, including myself, are having problems with the slave roller. And their customer service is reportedly terrible.

Thanks, that is the way I'm leaning right now, but might go with the MM3. I will use this mill about 20 to 30 times a year for regular five gallon batches. Want this thing to last a lifetime if possible.

I'd get the same one I have now.
Monster Mill MM2-2.0 with the hardened steel rollers. I'd also get the base, hopper and hopper extension again. I power it with my 18v DeWalt cordless hammerdrill. With the hopper extension, it can handle up to 39# of grain in one filling. I've gone over the ~11# that the standard hopper can handle with every batch.

BTW, the MM2-2.0 sounds like a MONSTER when it's munching on grain. I swear I sometimes hear it taunting me as I send grain through it.

Thanks for all the feed back. Going to order the MM 2/2.0 with base and hopper for $271. Exactly what I wanted.

Thanks for all the feed back. Going to order the MM 2/2.0 with base and hopper for $271. Exactly what I wanted.

Unless you won't be milling more than 11# of grain per batch, I'd toss in the hopper extension for $25. Still under your $300 for the total/complete mill (plus shipping). :D

Back