Using simple syrup to prime

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BPoling7

Reaction score
I'd like to experiment with using simple syrup to prime my beer. Does anyone have any experience with this? How much would you use per gallon?

Simple Syrup is 1:1 water to sugar by volume, so weigh the sugar before you add your equivalent volume of water.

Well I actually have a bottle of simple syrup already made. I just need to know how much to add per gallon and how well it works.

It's sugar and water, it works exactly like table sugar works. We actually make our priming sugar into simple syrup in the usual bottling process.

If it has nutritional information on it, you can figure out the weight of the sugar per ounce of liquid and prime accordingly. If it's not labelled, it's pretty much a crap shoot.

Simply stated simple syrup is 85% sugar W/W in the U.S. and 66% in the UK.

It will work the same as table sugar because that's what it is.

bosco

The product you have has 50 calories per ounce.

1 ounce of granulated table sugar contains 110 calories.

2 ounces (liquid ounces) of the syrup you have is almost equal to 1 ounce (weight) of table sugar.

bosco

You have a syrup that is thinned so it mixes easily in drinks and such. Basically bar syrup.

additionally: at 3T/gal *.85 you'll be priming at the equivalant of 6.375 oz sugar

2T/oz, so:
15/2*.85=6.375

The product you have has 50 calories per ounce.

1 ounce of granulated table sugar contains 110 calories.

2 ounces (liquid ounces) of the syrup you have is almost equal to 1 ounce (weight) of table sugar.

bosco

You have a syrup that is thinned so it mixes easily in drinks and such. Basically bar syrup.

OK disregard my post.

15/2*.5=3.75

so just under 4 equivalant oz of sugar

Ok, I've done a little bit more research but need another set of eyes to confirm this: Stirrings simple syrup has 14 grams of cane sugar per fluid oz. To get a desired volume of Co2 of 3, 28.8 grams of sugar needs to be added per gallon. So just over 2oz of Stirrings simple syrup would be needed. What do you guys think? By answering, you do not become responsible for any bottle bombs. haha

Ok, I've done a little bit more research but need another set of eyes to confirm this: Stirrings simple syrup has 14 grams of cane sugar per fluid oz. To get a desired volume of Co2 of 3, 28.8 grams of sugar needs to be added per gallon. So just over 2oz of Stirrings simple syrup would be needed. What do you guys think? By answering, you do not become responsible for any bottle bombs. haha

Good enough for government work.

bosco

Back