3 FLoyds Zombie Dust attempt. Help/info requested

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just got this into the carboy last night. I chose to go with the London ESB since I'd never tried it before. Definitely filled the house with lovely aromas during the brew. This was the first time I'd heard about first wort hops and I was pleased with all the oils coming out using that technique. I'm hoping this combined with a dry hop in the secondary will make this a great beer.

Make sure to report back how you like the London ESB. I have a smack pack of it to use on my next try, but have a couple other things to brew first. I don't think you will be dissapointed with the first wort hops/dry hop combo--I would limit the dry hop time to 7-10 days. I accidentally went 14 or 15 days the last try, and the aroma was getting a little vegetal/grassy/however you want to explain it....not that wonderful Citra aroma.

Make sure to report back how you like the London ESB. I have a smack pack of it to use on my next try, but have a couple other things to brew first. I don't think you will be dissapointed with the first wort hops/dry hop combo--I would limit the dry hop time to 7-10 days. I accidentally went 14 or 15 days the last try, and the aroma was getting a little vegetal/grassy/however you want to explain it....not that wonderful Citra aroma.

Will do. I was a little worried cause the ESB got really clumpy in my starter. It's working very nicely still though. Will keep you guys updated on it.

Thanks for the tip on 7 days of dry hopping, I've just got in 2 more carboys and will be ready to move for dry hopping. How long did you primary?

I've also got a batch that was fermented with London ESB that will be ready to move to a corny for dry-hopping on Saturday. I will be sure to chime in 10 days after I put gas on it.

I brewed this up this weekend. I used two packets of s-04 and it was churning good 12 hours later. I can not wait to try this mlk weekend.

2 weeks after brewing with the London ESB I got to 1.019, which is just about where I expected to be. Tasted the sample I took for gravity and it was delicious. The entire brew room smelled like citrus candy for about 3 hours after transferring to the 2ndary and dry hopping. I'm so excited to taste this in another 2 weeks or so.

I brewed this on 11/26/11 and began drinking last night (12/25/11). Pretty much one month on the nose and a pleasant Christmas present as well!

My recipe (only change is hops because I had mostly whole)

10.50 lb pale
1 lb Munich
.50 lb carafoam
.50 lb crystal 60
.50 lb melanoiden

1.20 oz whole citra 13.4% 15 minutes
.75 oz whole citra 13.4% fwh
1.3 oz whole citra 13.4% 10 min
.60 oz whole citra 13.4% 5 min
.20 oz whole citra 13.4% + .80 oz pellet 13.4% 1 min
3.7 oz pellet dry hop 9 days

04 dry yeast rehydrated

Og came in at 1.058 and final was 1.014
10 days in cold brite tank.

I've had fresh zombie dust at fft brewpub and based on memory, this is right on track. Will clean up a bit more as keg empties.

Can someone comment on what the malts other than pale contribute to this beer? I'm trying to get better with malts and very interested in how these malts affect a generally pale beer. Thanks to skeezer for the thread!

Carafoam (aka Carapils) helps with head retention.

Munich adds a little maltiness and some color without adding much to the body.

Crystal 60 adds some caramel flavor, color, and residual sweetness.

Melanoiden helps get a reddish color and adds a lot of maltiness. 3 Floyds supposedly uses it in some of their other ipas also.

Glad you liked the recipe. I am gonna do another soon.

I brewed this on 11/26/11 and began drinking last night (12/25/11). Pretty much one month on the nose and a pleasant Christmas present as well!

My recipe (only change is hops because I had mostly whole)

10.50 lb pale
1 lb Munich
.50 lb carafoam
.50 lb crystal 60
.50 lb melanoiden

1.20 oz whole citra 13.4% 15 minutes
.75 oz whole citra 13.4% fwh
1.3 oz whole citra 13.4% 10 min
.60 oz whole citra 13.4% 5 min
.20 oz whole citra 13.4% + .80 oz pellet 13.4% 1 min
3.7 oz pellet dry hop 9 days

04 dry yeast rehydrated

Og came in at 1.058 and final was 1.014
10 days in cold brite tank.

I've had fresh zombie dust at fft brewpub and based on memory, this is right on track. Will clean up a bit more as keg empties.

Can someone comment on what the malts other than pale contribute to this beer? I'm trying to get better with malts and very interested in how these malts affect a generally pale beer. Thanks to skeezer for the thread!

.50 lb carafoam
Used to increase body, and head retention for fluffier head that sticks around till the last sip.

.50 lb crystal 60

This will add taste and color. Crystal 10, 20, 40, 60, 120, etc are all varying degrees of toasting. The higher the number, the darker the roast. You'll go from very pale color with slight caramel taste with a crystal 10 to a deep red/brown, thicker caramel taste with a 120.

.50 lb melanoiden

Melanoidins are formed when sugars and amino acids combine at elevated temperatures, typically around the boiling point. In contrast, the sweet caramel flavors associated with crystal malts form from higher temperatures. To get a good feel for the difference in these flavors, try doing a head-to-head taste test of a British Pale Ale with a German amber lager such as Oktoberfest. Even though you can find examples with the same color, the nature of the maltiness will be quite different.

They will increase the red color in a beer and add a very unique malty taste to the beer. Hard to explain, toasty bread maybe?

Took a run at this recipe a few weeks ago, definitely didn't come out according to the recipe above as far as OG and volume.

I'm going to revisit this recipe in the near future and try a 2nd run at it when I have more time to brew it slower. Need to clean up my brew space and organize it a bit better for my next run.

I brewed the following recipe 8 days ago (matching skeezer's last recipe). It smells wonderful and the krausen has all ready started to drop. I will be substituting the dry hopping with 3 oz of Nelson Sauvin. I dropped and broke yet ANOTHER hydrometer so no OG reading unfortunetly (need to stop drinking before the boil :drunk:)

Saf ale US04- 1 pack

10.5# Brewers 2Row Malt
1.00 Munich
8oz Carpils Caramel Pils Malt
8oz Melanoidin Malt
8oz Crystal 60L

.75 oz Citra (First Wort Hop)
1.25 oz Citra [12.40%] (15 min)
1.25 oz Citra [12.40%] (10 min)
1.25 oz Citra [12.40%] (5 min)
1.25 oz Citra [12.40%] (1 min)

3.00 oz Nelson Sauvin (Dry Hop 10 days)

Mashed at 154 (dropped to 151 after 1 and half hours)

Took a run at this recipe a few weeks ago, definitely didn't come out according to the recipe above as far as OG and volume.

I'm going to revisit this recipe in the near future and try a 2nd run at it when I have more time to brew it slower. Need to clean up my brew space and organize it a bit better for my next run.

What numbers did you hit?

Here is what I am brewing now:

Batch Size: 6 gallons
Estimated Original Gravity: 1.065
Estimated Final Gravity: 1.018
Estimated Color: 8.5 SRM
Bitterness: 65.9 IBU
Mash Temp: 155 F

Ingredients Amount Item Type % or IBU
11.75 lb Pilsner (2 Row) Bel (2.0 SRM) Grain 81.7 %
1.13 lb Munich Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM) Grain 7.8 %
0.50 lb Carafoam (2.0 SRM) Grain 3.5 %
0.50 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 3.5 %
0.50 lb Melanoiden Malt (20.0 SRM) Grain 3.5 %
1.25 oz Citra [12.40%] (15 min) Hops 21.1 IBU
0.75 oz Citra [12.40%] (20 min) (First Wort Hop) Hops 17.0 IBU
1.25 oz Citra [12.40%] (10 min) Hops 15.4 IBU
1.25 oz Citra [12.40%] (5 min) Hops 8.5 IBU
1.25 oz Citra [12.40%] (1 min) Hops 1.8 IBU
3.00 oz Citra [12.40%] (Dry Hop 10 days) Hops -
1 Pkgs California Ale (S-05) ***
1 Pkgs SafAle English Ale (S-04) ***

***I plan to split this into 2 carboys (3g each), and use S-05 in one and S-04 in the other to see how the yeast changes the flavor. I don't imagine either will be bad.

The changes from the last recipe I posted:
-I would end with about 1 extra oz of Citra that I don't want to re-seal since I still have about 2.5 lbs, so will add a bit more at the 5 and 1 minute additions.
-I had an extra .125 lbs of Munich, so I went ahead and threw it in.
-I forgot I left my 2-row with a friend prior to the move. I had 55 lbs of Pilsner on hand, so used it rather than driving to a brew shop (will be doing a 90 minute boil).

Fairly new to brewing but I fell in love with Zombie Dust and just stumbled upon this site.

Did the change to Pilsner make much of a difference?

Also...Citra Hops...can't find them anywhere in stock

I didn't notice any difference using pilsner. I will use 2row next time since it cheaper, pilsner was all I had on hand last time.

I am not sure where to find citra hops. Luckily I still have several pounds of it.

Has anyone attempted to dry hop this in a corny while force carbing?

Obviously I am worried about it getting too grassy but the thought of keeping all that great Citra aroma on tap is just too tempting.

Hoping to brew this next week. Going to follow skeezerpleezer's latest recipe.

@Turtletello

Williams Brewing just got there pellets in and Austin has some whole leaf in stock.

Has anyone attempted to dry hop this in a corny while force carbing?

Obviously I am worried about it getting too grassy but the thought of keeping all that great Citra aroma on tap is just too tempting.

Hoping to brew this next week. Going to follow skeezerpleezer's latest recipe.

@Turtletello

Williams Brewing just got there pellets in and Austin has some whole leaf in stock.

I dryhopped a different IPA with an 1.5 ounces of citra in the keg and now 5 weeks in am getting grassy. Tastes started after 3-4 weeks.

I have always force carbed in a corny every time, had no problem thus far with grassy.

I don't think it's a matter of it necessarily being in a keg, just that the hops sit on the beer until the entire keg is drunk. How long have you had dry hops on your keg before it's finished? The furthest I've lasted was 5 weeks or so and it was getting grassy for me.

So what's the final recipe? Sounds very interesting can someone pm it to me

Turtletello said:
Fairly new to brewing but I fell in love with Zombie Dust and just stumbled upon this site.

Did the change to Pilsner make much of a difference?

Do you have a LHBS (local home brew store)? In times where online places have been out, I've have great luck at my LHBS. Or other brewers in your area

Mine finally made it to the keg last night. Aroma was fantastic. Went from 1.066 to 1.018. I used the London ESB yeast.

I finally kegged my ZD 2 weeks ago and sampled some this week. I used the skeezerpleezer recipe in this thread with London ESB yeast. I also dry hopped with 4 oz of Citra instead of 3. It turned out amazing. I think the aroma and taste are spot on. Here's a pic of the clone against the original. Mine's to the left. I'm getting a good amount of hop haze but color is pretty close. I dry hop in the keg. I also created a label for bottling this. The label came from the beerlabelizer.com site. I'm a big fan of the Walking Dead series on AMC and wanted a Walking Dead theme to my label. Here's the label also.

Cheers!

IMG_0276.jpg

BeerLabel2.jpg

That's awesome (beer and label) :mug:. I have this in my cue to brew again soon with the 1968. Anything you think I should change up, or call it good to go where it is at? I was considering putting a little caramel 20 in, but since I moved to the land of The Walking Dead (Atlanta), I haven't had a chance to taste any real zombie dust for awhile. I didn't see it when I was in Chicago last month either.

I just tried one about a week after force carbing. Still green but the aroma was fantastic and the taste was very citrusy with a slight bitterness. Very nice, will let this sit for another 2 weeks before trying again.

Sorry, that's an IPA as well. 66IBU? There's no way you can call a beer with 66IBU an American pale ale. That's 50-100% more than it should be.

Oh, hi. Welcome to Northwest Indiana. Alpha King? That's how we do Pale Ales 'round here. Or more like, INDIANA pale ales. IPA? You'll want to try the Dreadnaught. Thanks.

Yep, their "Mild" Pride and Joy is more like a usual pale ale than the Alpha King or Zombie Dust. Apocalypse Cow and Artic Panzer Wolf are great also. FFF hops the crap out of everything and I love it.

Back