First all grain brew, just one question.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brad26

Reaction score
Currently brewing my first all grain beer, just had one question. I have 13.5 pounds of malt and I mashed with 5 gallons of water and got 3 gallons out when I was done mashing. Going to batch sparge with an additional 5 gallons. Is the 3 gallons of wort about the amount I should get out of my mash tun, or should there be more?

Grains usually absorb between 0.1 and 0.2 gal per pound, so the 3 gallons you got out is pretty standard. Once wet they won't hold any additional liquid, so if you sparge with 5 gallons, you'll get 5 gallons back out.

In addition to the grain absorption, there's also likely some deadspace in your MLT (i.e. liquid that doesn't get drained out). You can check your deadspace by putting a few gallons of water in your MLT (without grain), then draining as much as you can and seeing how much water is left.

But yeah, getting 3 gallons runoff out of 5 gallons mash seems totally reasonable.

Back