Torrified Wheat

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sonvolt

Reaction score
I have a recipe for Theakston's Old Peculiar that I'd like to stir up today or tomorrow. The recipe calls for .75 lbs of Torrified Wheat - the only ingredient that I don't currently have.

What characteristics will this impart that I cannot live without. I don't care if it is a spot on clone - just close.

How can I substitute for the Torrified Wheat and what will happen if I omit it?

I think its primary function is to enhance head retention. 8oz of flaked wheat or 2-4 ozs of flaked barley would also work well.

If you just omit it, you'll probably notice no difference in flavor, but won't have as good head retention, I'm guessing.

Hmm . . . I have a small bag of wheat DME sitting around. Would a small addition of it work in its place?

sonvolt said:
I have a recipe for Theakston's Old Peculiar that I'd like to stir up today or tomorrow. The recipe calls for .75 lbs of Torrified Wheat - the only ingredient that I don't currently have.

What characteristics will this impart that I cannot live without. I don't care if it is a spot on clone - just close.

How can I substitute for the Torrified Wheat and what will happen if I omit it?

Don't tease.
Share the recipe. A true clone should have leaves and stuff floating in it!

Back